Chapter 15

Blood splashed viciously as Joana back-kicked the man, whatever his name was. It didn’t matter to Joanna. He was the fourth one this week. She almost got used to the idea of defeating fifteen men just to avoid one fight with Julian. After their last encounter she felt the she triggered something deep inside him, and he wasn’t going to let it go that easily. Hell, he hadn’t spoken to her since. And for some reason, she felt he was preparing for a big bomb.

“You are a little monster, aren’t you.” Uncle Sam stood up from his plastic chair and beamed at her. She ignored him and walked past him between the roaring crowds.

“Hey, let me see that. Are you alright?” Hank ran after her. She dismissed him, and wiped the blood out of the corner of her mouth. “Am fine, Hank.” She said. She was too pissed of at the world right now, and she had to look at every corner just to make sure she wasn’t being attacked.

“Look at you, Slinky. Taking care of your boyfriend!” a stupid guy called after them, and despite the cold freezing weather, Joanna felt her blood boil.

“What the hell did you just say, punk?” he wasn’t a punk at all. He sure was way taller than her. But comparing to the four-no, five- men she fought with, he was no bigger. Not even close!

“I’ll deal with him, little monster.” Uncle Sam called from behind the man, whose face went pale at the sound of the old man. And Joanna couldn’t help but feel sorry for him by the time he was surrounded by a few men.

“Just don’t kill him.” She said before she turned around and headed for the diner hall. The buzz alarm came closely after.

“You don’t have to jump up in and stand up for me every time someone throw their venom at me.” Hank told her, sounding a bit annoyed.

“It’s nothing.” She said. She was too tired to give a crap.

“I mean it! You have too many problems to deal with. I’ve been handling things here for four years now, you know.”

Joanna looked at the empty plate in front of Hank. It’d been almost five minutes since they sat down and he downed all the food. Yeah, that how he managed living for four years, Joanna thought sarcastically.

“And..” Hank said cautiously. “Specially with.. Julian.” He said, looking down at his plate.

There it was!

Joanna shook her head in annoyance. Yes, that name made her feel like that.

“He saw it coming.” She said. “Am sorry if it bothered you, man, but I just couldn’t stand him talking like that. Especially after I knew everything.”

“Yeah.” Hank started slowly, “But.. It was sort of harsh of you.”

“Oh, I was harsh?” Joanna bellowed sarcastically. “I suppose you can’t hear what he says anymore, can you?” she said to Hank.

Hank looked at her, his eyes pained, and she felt sorry for him. All she could think of was that that jerk didn’t deserve an ounce of Hank’s loyalty.

Julian was staring at his food blankly.

“Would you get over it.” Isaac yelled at his pouting friend.

“That exactly what she said.” Julian said blankly, still staring at his food.

“HE! He is not a she!” Isaac said, whispering the last word. Julian snapped his head up to look at Isaac. “No, he is a she, and I’ll prove it!” he said determined. He was acting so childish.