Chapter 19

Right after the epic fight between Julian and Joanna:

Joanna’s consciousness was drifting. Actually she has already lost most of it, and what left of it was making her more and more dizzy since the last knock she had from the fight with that devil.

And although she was half dead, she was will aware that she had-and for the first time ever- lost. And the feeling it brought to her was so foreign she couldn’t recognize it. Or maybe the multiple hits her head got from bouncing of the ground made her unable to form a whole thought.

She knew she was been lifted by someone, who was shouting harshly at something.

“Every one clear the fuck away!” was what he was shouting. Was that Kevin?

She couldn’t really be sure as she drifted back to darkness.

Someone was opening her right eye and saying things to her. She tried to say… what was it that she wanted to say? Instead she just gave in to darkness again.

“Leave him, I’ll do it.” She heard Kevin ordering someone before she felt him touching her body in everywhere she ached, like they were checking for some injury, or they simply wanted to inflict more pain as they pressed more in the places that hurt her the most and she screeched painfully.

“Joan. Joan can you hear me.” Kevin shouted at her, and she opened her eye slowly, struggling to keep them open as she saw Kevin worried face in front of her.

“Kevin.” She whispered as a silly smile spread across her face.

“Good, he recognized you!” she heard another voice on her right, and realize it was Tom, the shower-room guard.

“Kevin.” She said again, wanting so badly to tell him something.

“What? What is it?” Kevin said quickly.

“I… lost!” she moaned.

“Let’s not worry about this right now, alright?” he said softly.

“No, I.. I lost.” She said slowly wincing as pain spread through her body.

“Yeah, Joan, you did.” Kevin said annoyingly. But she still smiled shutting her eyes at the pain it caused, but kept her grin spread as she recognized the feeling of losing.

“I feel so… free.” Was the last thing she said, as she surrendered completely to darkness. It was the most peaceful darkness she’d ever faced in her life.

“Good morning.” Isaac said to Joanna as she opened her eyes slowly.

“Kevin?” she whispered lazily.

“No, it’s Isaac!” Isaac said slowly and a small grin appeared in his unshaved face. “Julian was right, you and that guard are close!” Isaac said as he chuckled.

Joanna realized immediately what she just said. She shot up from the bed and nearly screamed as pain punched her in all parts of her body. “Damn it!” she said between gritted teeth while Isaac gently pushed her back to the bed. “Easy there.” He said softly.

“We’re not close.” She managed to say in respond to Isaac’s earlier remark about her and Kevin.

“Don’t worry. I won’t tell Julian.” He chuckled again. It was so different than Julian’s Devil’s chuckle. “Don’t want to give him that satisfaction.” He said.