Chapter 51 : The Medium

Draupadi was shocked to see Karn with a child in his hold. She looked at her sakha who looked anywhere but her. Kunti, Pandavas and Bhism all came out. What is happening?

"Putra Karn, who is this child?" Kunti asks.

"This is Karn's youngest son Vrishaketu," Krishna answers.

"Before anything. Radhey please don't tell me you didn't bring a newborn child out from his mother's arms," Draupadi says infuriated.

"Draupadi.... Vrushali...is no more..."

Draupadi gasps in shock. Her hand flew to her mouth and tears brimmed in her eyes.

"Wh...what .." Draupadi whispers not believing what she heard.

"While giving birth, she died handing me Vrishaketu," Karn says.

Draupadi comes forward and looks at the child in Karn's arms. He is sucking his thumb.

"Sakhi, atleast ask us to come in," Krishna says.

"From when did you need permission, sakha?" Draupadi rolls her eyes.

Draupadi took Vrishaketu in her arms gently rocking the child. Everyone moved to her chamber.

"Radhey, Vrishaketu will never lack any love. I promise you that," Draupadi says.

Krishna and Karn were sitting in a couch watching Draupadi gently rocking the child. Pandavas also watched with eyes filled with awe. Motherhood suits her the best.

Suddenly Vrishaketu woke up and began to wail loudly.

"He must be hungry. Priyamvada, call the dai," Draupadi orders.

But Vrishaketu refused to drink. Draupadi called over 30 dais but Vrishaketu rejected them all. Everyone became worried.

"Why is he rejecting all of them? What's the problem?" Draupadi asks worriedly.

"Sakhi, you remember the bond you two share?" Krishna suddenly speaks.

Draupadi looks at him confused. What does he mean? What does that bond have to do with a child?

"Sakhi, Karn and your soul connection is way deeper. Vrishaketu is your son as much as Karn's. Because he is born as a part of you," Krishna says.

Draupadi blinked. Kunti was shocked. Bhism forgot to move for sometime and Pandavas didn't know what to do.

"Wh...what?" Draupadi whispers.

"Yes, sakhi," Krishna says.

Draupadi took Vrishaketu from Kunti's hand who seemed to feel her presence and turned his head towards her. Vrishaketu touched Draupadi's chest indicating he is hungry. Draupadi looks at her sakha helpless. It's been years she gave birth to Abhimanyu. How will she produce milk?

Krishna who understood her, walked over her. He touched Draupadi's chest and closed his eyes. Draupadi looked at him gratefully then moved to the inner chamber to feed Vrishaketu.

"Will anyone tell me what connection is Vasudev talking about?" Bhism's voice made them came back to reality.

"Tatshree it's ...." Kunti explains everything.

"Leave me with Kunti," Bhism orders.

Everyone left the chamber.

"Kunti, how...?"

"Tatshree, I confessed to Draupadi some days ago. She will handle everything," Kunti says with hope.

"I am amazed. How your sons end up entangled with her no matter where. It's a miracle," Bhism exclaims.