Chapter 67 : Her First Choice

The entire Aryavarta came to know about Duryodhana's proposal to Draupadi for Satanika. Pandavas heart was anxious. They wouldn't want Duryodhana to be related to them in any kind any more. And accepting him as the father in law of their son was impossible for them.

Only Draupadi isn't worried about this matter. She keeps doing her usual work with no worries. Until Satanika returns, this matter won't be even considered at all. It might take years for them to return from the Digvijaya Yatra.

Karn tossed and turned on the hard ground of Devapath's garden. He couldn't forget how Draupadi would sit of the rough ground, sleep there. Her body would sometimes have marks on them. He began to detest the luxurious beds and began to sleep on the ground as well.

Karn knows she will never complain or say one single thing about her struggle. And that's what is hurting him so much. Fast till midnight? What was she thinking? She works around all day, looks over Vrishaketu. And then this.

He grew angry with Pandavas more than ever. Don't they see it? If they truly love her, how can they be so normal seeing her like that?

"Putra Karn,"

Karn sat up seeing Kunti, "Rajmata, why are you here so late at night?"

Kunti's heart bled. A mother knows her sons. She knows why Karn is also sleeping on the hard ground. Even in Hastinapur, she had doubted Karn loving Draupadi but brushed it aside. Because no one can ever point finger at Draupadi for her loyalty towards her husbands.

Now seeing Karn suffer like this is really painful for her. Draupadi knows Karn is her eldest son, then why is she delaying to accept him?

"You love her that much?" she couldn't help but ask.

Karn was shocked at first then looked down. He couldn't answer that. He cursed at his mind. How will he tell this woman that he loves her daughter in law?

"Mata, you should return," Karn says.

Kunti came forward and pulls his head on her lap. Karn was shocked at first. Then he relaxed feeling her motherly affection.

"This is her magic. She makes people fall in love with her without them knowing," Kunti says softly.

Karn just laid on her lap. He felt the warmth of a mother. Unknowingly his eyes teared up. This lap feels so familiar like a beautiful dream he once had.

"If you were my eldest son, I would have taken your marriage proposal to Panchal for her. I would have welcomed you two in your home, I would have decorated your home for you," Kunti spoke dreamily.

Karn was shocked immensely.

"I am not like your sons maa. Even if you have ordered me to divide my wife, I would have violated that command of yours. I would have left with my wife," Karn spoke.

A few tears escaped Kunti's eyes. To unit her sons, she has made Draupadi's life a penance.

"I know, Putra. You wouldn't have made her suffer like my other sons did," Kunti spoke.

Karn's heart bled profusely. Again Draupadi's sufferings in the forest came to his mind.

Karn has came to visit with Mata Kunti.  His heart uneasy. This uneasiness could be handled by Krishna who is not here and the other person is Draupadi, herself.

Karn's heart is uneasy for a lot of reason. First is there is something wrong with Draupadi. In Devapath, her eyes were filled with hurt and unshed tears. There were still emotions within her. If she smiled, it was a genuine smile. If she was sad, it was also genuine. And right now she is pretending. She is pretending to be a very happy and content woman. She is all smiling and happy with Pandavas.