Chapter 34

-3rd POV-

Muichiro fell to the ground, coughing. He sat up and raised a hand and took one needle out from his cheek. He noted how his hand shook, 'The numbness is so severe. These needles...I may have escaped the water pot...but I'm not...' He took the rest of the needles out and looked at the kid, "K-Kotetsu..." He softly called out, before seeing more small demons walk up.

Daki stood in front of him, "Stay down. I'll handle it." She said, as she grabbed Kotetsu, so he didn't get harmed.

"N-No..." He muttered, trying to stand but couldn't, 'My strength...is sapped. There's nothing...I can...'

The demons jumped towards the three of them.

"I know you can do it, Muichiro. Now, on your feet!"

Muichiro's eyes widen, 'Father...'

-Small Flashback-

That's right. My father was a woodcutter. And as his son...I would help him cut down trees.

Muichiro watched his father cut down a tree as it then fell.

I...

His father looked at him and let out a small chuckle.

I...liked helping my father work.

A woman laid on a futon, coughing and her cheeks flushed.

"Mother, are you all right? Father's out getting you herbs right now, so...Mother!" Muichiro worriedly called out, before taking off the cloth that rested on her forehead, and touched it, 'She's burning up.' He thought, dunking the cloth in water, wringing it and putting it back on her forehead.

He got up and ran off to grab something, which was a blanket that he laid on top of his sick mother, "Here, take my blanket. How's that, Mother?"

"I'm cold." She softly said, making his eyes widen.

Tears welled up, before he hugged her, "Father will be back soon, all right?"

-----

Outside in the rain, the father walked on a small path that was on the side of a mountain. He looked up, seeing the herbs he needed, which made him smile. 

He walked up to get close to the herbs, reaching for them, but then the rock under him broke.

The father held the herbs in his hand, as he lost blood.

-----

That day...I lost both my mother and father...people dear to me, at once. My parents died when I was ten. I found myself alone at ten.

"Muichiro?" A voice called out, making the said boy's eyes widen and turn his head.

No, that's not right. I was 11 when I found myself alone. I...I had a twin. My brother's name was Yuichiro.

The twins walked, carrying wood on their backs.

"Compassion does no good for anyone. Doing something for others won't get you anywhere." Yuichiro said.