Chapter 60: Just the Beginning

The initial fighting had subsided within the capital, but the echoes of many frightened civilians' hurried footsteps still reverberated throughout the city. Sadly, you would have to ignore them for now.

As you stepped into the hospital, closely followed by your group, you felt compelled to shut your eyes in response to the grim scene.

Y/N: What sort of nightmare have I walked into...

The entire hospital lobby was crammed, leaving scarcely enough space for you to even stand. The floors, walls, and even the ceilings bore gruesome stains, while parents clutched their children tightly. The sounds of pain and despair resounded through the halls.

You slowly extended your hands, surrounded by a vibrant aura of cursed energy. An eerie red glow emanated from your hands, prompting the group behind you to shield their eyes briefly before it vanished.

Y/N: I've healed their physical wounds, but mentally... there's little I can do...

Maki: You've already done more than enough. The rest is up to them and the doctors. We should keep moving, Y/N.

You nodded, finding solace in Maki's calm, and collected demeanor.

Y/N: You're right...

Carefully, you made your way past unconscious soldiers, ensuring not to step on anyone so you didn't inflict any further harm. You passed several families, their expressions a mix of shock and wonder at their miraculously healed limbs and injuries.

Disregarding the bustling nurses, you located Sirzechs using your senses and strode past the lobby counter, deftly stepping over the numerous bodies strewn in the hallways.

At the far end of the hall on the first floor, you reached a lone door, beyond which you could hear and feel a flurry of anguish.

The sounds of weeping and sniffling were palpable to everyone in the group.

Y/N: Once we're in there, none of you are to cause a scene, under any circumstances. Say one thing out of line... you're gone. Speak only when spoken to... understood?

They nodded in agreement, and you slid the door open, entering. Almost immediately, you were halted by a nurse who stood just inside.

She raised her hand to bar your entry.

Nurse: I'm sorry, sir, but no visitors allowed at the moment...

Y/N: Thank you for doing your job... but I'm family. I ask that you step aside.

You could see her visibly trembling in fear, the rest of your group waiting directly outside the door, unable to pass.

Nurse: I-I'm sorry--

Venelana: Y/N?

The nurse's words were cut off as a brown-haired woman emerged from behind your group, clutching a bouquet of flowers.

You turned around, and the group parted so that you could see her clearly.

Y/N: Venelana... I'm so sorry, if only I had arrived sooner...

She approached you, offering a gentle smile.

Your eyes went wide as you looked at her face, she had dried tears that stained her cheeks, her eyes were beat red from the hours she had most likely been crying for. Yet, she smiled... there it was, that smile... the same one she wore.

When she made it to you she tapped your chest a few times and nodded.

Venelana: It's alright... Thank you for coming.

She gently pushed past you and addressed the nurse.

Venelana: He's alright, please give us some privacy...