Chapter 63: The Wish

Central District, Lilith

You appeared next to the massive pit in the center of the capital, observing a faint light falling into the abyss as Akira discarded his cigarette. A worm like Curse draped over his shoulder casually.

Y/N: I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Akira: Not at all... if anything you defeating Gilgamesh was not something that I foresaw. However, the purple-haired girl and orange-haired boy are about to meet their end, and when they do, everything will be over.

You didn't respond immediately. Instead, you stared into the abyss before turning your gaze to him across the massive hole.

Y/N: Akira... I can't say your wish is entirely wrong... in fact, a part of me agrees with what you are wishing for.

Akira blew out the last traces of smoke from his discarded cigarette and fixed his gaze on you.

Akira: You figured it out, then? I'm surprised it took you this long. So, what gave me away?

He swiftly caught something you tossed toward him, though the velocity of the object stung his hand. He brought his arm down and opened his palm to examine a rather familiar golden pocket watch.

Y/N: That...

Akira: This? It's merely a memory, one that—

Y/N: One that you held onto for almost a thousand years... your beautiful lover, and your sister, Kyouka. Nothing in the entire world mattered more to you than them. They were everything to you.

Akira clenched the pocket watch tightly, narrowing his eyes at you.

Y/N: So why... Why did you leave it behind, why did you try to destroy it? There's only one reason... you've prepared yourself for death.

You began to move slowly around the hole you'd created, but your eyes remained fixed on his form.

Y/N: At first, I thought maybe you wanted to bring them back, perhaps go back in time and change what you had done. The guilt of creating the very weapon that led to the deaths of your entire family... it must have been unbearable.

You continued to circle around the hole, approaching him.

Y/N: But no... that wasn't your wish. You made that clear when you discarded the last memories of them in that simple pocket watch. So, did you seek revenge for what the devils did to your lover? Maybe you did... at least at first.

Akira followed your movements with his eyes, chuckling softly at your perceptive insight.

Y/N: Then I remembered, all those years that I thought curses had been extinct and the fact that those cursed spirits I saw in Fuyuki never attacked a single human, it all began to make sense. Kyouka always called you a genius, someone who was smart, yet extremely cunning. I've learned to trust her words for what they are. You had a lot of time to realize what your lover's death meant. A lot of time to think... a lot of time to grieve, and it led you to one conclusion...

He gripped the pocket watch and then gazed down into the dark pit beneath him.

Akira: I'm impressed... and I'm sure you know this... but there is no such thing as a painless lesson... they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first... and I lost everything.

You halted your approach, standing a few meters away from him. Akira turned to meet your gaze.

Akira: But in return, I gained something priceless. Knowledge, a simple truth I'd never have realized without that tragedy... What did I learn? That we are unneeded. Devils, Angels, Fallen Angels, Gods, Magic... the supernatural. None of us are necessary. We don't create anything, we don't save anything. We're killers.