Chapter 1

🫶🏻 Download the Inkitt App (It's just like Wattpad) and follow me- Misshmd27 and check out my other stories that I do not post here.🫶🏻

Pulling my ringing phone out of my purse, I bring it to my ear and press the green button without checking to see who it could be.

Not that many people have my number. My boss, my family, my friends. Trust me, I'm not very social so it's not that many.

I prefer to keep my circle small, less drama and crap like that to deal with. My job keeps me terribly busy as it is and I don't need that many more people to check up than I already have.

Walking across the street, I make it to the other side before the red light flashes on. I've had a long day. This trial is taking its toll on the entire building. We are currently working to help a man escape life in prison for the murder of his wife and step kid's, innocent until proven guilty and that.

You have to love the system.

It's all bullshit if you ask me, but it's my job to help the defense attorneys get these bad people off. Trust me I think the man should rot in prison for what he did, but that's not how the law works. I'm afraid.

"Hello," I answer the phone.

I'm really ready to just get home and eat something. We were so busy today that I had not even had time to eat my lunch and it's now late in the evening.

I think I lost several pounds the last few weeks, I was putting in extra hours. My boss calls me to come in early, and doesn't allow us to leave until it's dark outside.

He just got out of law school and is itching to prove himself as a capable defense attorney. Basically he just wants more clients to ask for him.

"Girl, come out with us tonight!" My best friend, Kacey, shrieks through the phone.

No. No. That is definitely not what I wanted to end up doing for the rest of the night. I said this before and I will say it again, I am not very social. Spending my night in a club or bar is just definitely not my cup of tea.

The music playing in the background is so loud that it's almost too hard to hear her, I have to press my ear to the phone.

I'm tempted to hang up the phone, and text her saying I couldn't hear her. I would do that if I knew she would not try calling again.

She always does.

"I just got off work, Kacey. I'm tired." I whine, like a child, feeling my foot moving on it's on stomping down on the concrete.

I finally reached my car, in the barking garage and jumped inside and locked the door. You never know who could be following you. It's better to be safe than to be sorry. Leaning up in my seat, I press the button for the AC. I crank it up on the highest level, feeling the coldness of the air blowing around my tired body. I hate going down here at night, it gives me the creeps. I even asked my boss one day if I could leave before it got dark, because I was too scared to walk down here alone.

He told me that we would all leave together and walk with each other the majority of the way. Thing is he gets to park on the top level, because he is the boss and has his own parking spot. The rest of us bottom workers do not and we may get lucky every once in a while to find a spot on the second floor.

"Abby? You still there?" Kacey shrieks again, through the phone and into my ear.

I must have been lost in my thoughts because I apparently did not give her an answer. I should just say no I want to go home, but I know I would never hear the end of it from my friends. They all like to party a little too much and I'm the one that's more than happy to stay inside my home at night. Either watching a movie or reading a good book.