Chapter 38

When Colton walks into the kitchen, he grabs me by the shoulders, pulling me into his arms. He is dressed in a suit that has a grayish appearance to it and is quite worn, but it is probably the nicest outfit that he owns.

"It's time to go outside," He tells me, rubbing his hand up and down my left arm.

Outside?

"But I have to watch the food-" I begin by explaining that I wanted to ensure that all of the food turned out well so that I might win him over and possibly gain a few points in the process.

"Are you really that inconsiderate? Just recently, my brother's wife passed away. It is time for us to put her to rest "He lost his cool and brought his hand up to smack me, right across the face.

"You're right husband I apologize," I said. I promptly apologized, thinking it might prevent him from becoming angry with me. "I simply wanted to make sure the food was done well."

"I have no doubt that it will be flawless, just like you. The most wonderful and ideal wife to me "He leans close to my ear and murmurs something.

Indeed, the ideal wife.

Colton starts walking behind them and pulls me along with him. The men in the living room have started to leave through the kitchen and head out the back door. The men in the kitchen have started to pass through the living room.

As we make our way to the open field, I look down and see that Rebecca's body. It is lying next to a large hole in the ground.

Are you telling me that this is how they intend to bury her?

This breaks my heart so much that it literally hurts to look at the scene in front of me because they are just going to throw her into that hole in the ground where it is freezing cold.

Her loved ones will never be able to bury her.

Oh God, her family will never know the truth about what happened to her, and they will never be able to have closure.

Living their lives without resolution, constantly wondering what became of her and why she was taken from them.

Will I find myself in this situation one day if I don't listen to what Colton tells me? Will he merely bury me somewhere deep underground, leaving my family and friends to mourn my passing without any idea of what happened to me?

Because my loved ones depend on me. I am unable to quit up. It is simply not an option.

Cain says as he lowers Rebecca into the pit, "Thank you everybody for coming to support me on this day, Rebecca wasn't a very good wife, but I will still miss her,"

Due to the fact that she is still covered in blood after vomiting up, why was he not at least able to clean her up a little bit out of respect? I wouldn't care about how much I'm hurt right now. I would have helped the poor girl regardless.

I feel like yelling at them in my head and just repeatedly punching them in the chest until it hurts my hands. I want to scream at them for all being such heartless men. He insulted her by claiming that she wasn't a very nice wife, and then he tossed her into the ground like she was nothing.

Like a dog.

Absolutely nothing in his eyes.

Is this how Colton perceives me to be? Just someone to play the role of husband and wife, and now that Rebecca has passed away, I'm curious as to what will take place. Will he go out and look for another wife?

Honestly, I believe it to be precisely the action that he will take.

The words of Coltons make my head jerk up, and I hear him saying, "My wife was friends with Rebecca and would like to say a few words."

We didn't talk about this, so I'm not sure what to say about it. Even though we weren't friends and I didn't really know her all that well, I figured I should say something positive about her since someone had to.

After clearing my throat and looking down at my hands for a moment, I just remarked that Rebecca was a kind young lady and that I'll miss having her around.

"Is that all there is?" Cain asked while wearing an irritated expression on his face, and Colton responds by crossing his arms.

A shrug of the shoulders and the words, "I wish she wouldn't have to be buried like a dog in the earth," come out of my mouth before I can close my lips.

What the hell.

When I feel the palm of Colton's hand smashing into my cheek, causing me to collapse onto the ground next to Rebecca's grave, so near to her that I almost fall in on top of her, I realize that I shouldn't have said that.

I just sit there with my hand on my cheek and look at Rebecca. Crying for the life of a young woman who will soon be gone and forgotten by this world.

If I ever am able to get away from here, I will have to call the cops so that they can dig her up. She deserves a proper burial.