Chapter 61

When the mother had finished her responsibilities, she came and sat down next to me as I continued to think about Rebecca. She was so young to pass away in such a tragic way.

Why, if we had a physician in the family, didn't we call him when Rebecca got sick? I turned around to face her and asked the same question that was consuming my thoughts.

"During this time, the physician was attending to the delivery of his child. Because of this, he would not have desired to separate from his wife, and the family does not throw away money on unnecessary illnesses. Way too much cash. If the mother is so frail that she gets sick like that, then it stands to reason that the children she brings into the world would also be frail just like her "She explained, right before a loud yawn left her.

Nodding I guess I comprehended both of those things. I know that they are limited in their financial options due to the fact that they work on a farm. I understand the yawn as well.

She has been cleaning and cooking in addition to taking care of Ally and me.  She must be really exhausted, especially considering that she has to hand feed Aly for each meal before she can even sit down and eat her own plates of food.

Do not be concerned. I do not feel sorry for the wicked queen in any way, shape, or form because I know who she is. Even in my imagination, I can hear her cackling like the wicked queen in Snow White.

I allowed my thoughts to wander back to the last thing she had said. Which was that if the wife were ill. She would not be supplied any medicine because it would be a waste of money to provide it.

Just because the mother is sick does not mean the baby will be sick.

That doesn't make any sense.

Even though I put a lot of effort into trying to comprehend the traditions that our family follows, there are moments when I can't help but think that some of them are ludicrous.

Who the heck was the genius behind all these traditions?

I mutter to myself, "I just feel horrible for how she died, that's all," as I stroke the region on my tummy where I just felt my baby kick.

"I believe that she would have been a better choice than Ally, and Cain should have spent the money on her. That one has a thick skull for sure "She mutters complaints while rubbing her head and acting as though she is in discomfort.

I respond in a low voice, "Yeah."

Sincerity compels me to feel sorry for both of them.

Thank goodness Colton is nothing like Cain, who gets angry over the smallest things for no apparent reason at all. He is prone to exploding into wrath.

She says to me while keeping a tight eye on me, "I guess tomorrow Coltons is going to take you into town with him."

"What? Oh, I cannot wait!" I make an effort to contain my excitement so that she does not begin to suspect that I am plotting something even if I am not.

Since I haven't left the house in over seven months, and since the end of my pregnancy is drawing near, I would really like to have the opportunity to do something enjoyable before my child is born, because after he is here, my entire attention will be on taking care of him.

"Because you have been such a wonderful wife as of late, he believes that you merit some time away from the house because he believes that it will be beneficial to you. Although I don't think he should, he just won't listen to reason "She then makes the statement while shrugging her shoulders.

That's just the lowest form of hatred; what in the holy hell have I even done to her in the past few months? I have not interfered with anyone else's business. It's possible that she is irritated by the fact that she is responsible for doing all of the housework while my husband essentially pampereds me.

Or perhaps that is the case; since she has been separated from her husband for some time, it is possible that she is pining for the company of a dick; to tell you the truth, so am I. Because Colt is concerned about the bleeding and doesn't want me to miscarry because our sexual activity was too hard, he has not touched me in a very long time.

I even tried to warn him that he was being ridiculous, but all I get
t in response is a gentle kiss on the cheek and a belly rub now.

Why does she even think that she has the right to an opinion on what it is that I am permitted or prohibited to do?

"How did the labor and delivery go for the woman who you went to help?" I asked her, making an effort to change the subject.

"It was determined that the child was a female. It was heartbreaking to see the mother hand over her child in such a casual manner, and I can only thank God that I was spared that experience "She uttered a mumble.

And just like that, my worries come flooding back. I have to ask myself if this is really the kind of person I want my child to become if we have a boy in the family.

To kidnap and assault women, and even to take the life of his own daughter one day?

My head cautioned me to continue being a good wife, but my heart screamed at me to protect my child. This is putting so much strain on my head that I'm starting to get a headache.