Chapter 32

As soon as Colt emerges from his slumber, we make our way back to the home. We take off our muddy shoes before entering the house, where we are greeted by the sight of his mother and father having a conversation.

"Son, good. I was about to head outside and find you and tell you that your mother is needed  at Sean and Morgan's house. "As soon as we walked through the doors, The father said to Colt.

"Anything wrong?" He asked his father, conern forming over his face.

"Since Sean's mother has passed away, he has asked if it would be okay if your mother went to help care for the newborn in Morgan's home while she is recovering from giving birth. It goes without saying that I'll be there as well." The father went on to explain.

"That is wonderful news, and please let them know how delighted Abby and I are for them. When do you leave?" He inquired to his father while breaking into a grin at the mention of the word baby.

"Now that you're back, we can get on the road. After all that is finished we'll be on our way back home. We waited for you to return before we got on the road. Colt, the farms are now jointly owned by you and your brother. Now is the time for me to kick back and enjoy my life." The father speaks to Colt while patting him on the back makes it seem as like he is truly pleased with the adult his son has become. I suppose that means that he succeeded in his role as Colt's father and taught him all that he knows for the family.

However, that is open for debation.

"Yeah, I get it, father. I hope you and mother have a safe trip."

As she gathers up her belongings and exits the room, Colt's mother approaches, gives him a peck on the cheek, and then continues on her way out the door without saying a word to me.

"Remember that winter is coming; you will need to start having those crops harvested," His father sternly tells him.

"Yes father. I'll remove them within a few days." Colt says before slapping his father on the back.

"When we come back to the house, we will chat, and in the meantime, I will phone you." He makes the statement just before walking out the door to pursue his wife.

After looking at me, Colt pulls me into his chest and gives me a gentle kiss on the head before going to the refrigerator to get the ingredients for our meal.

If my husband is making dinner for us, I suppose it means I'm doing a decent job as a wife.

I give myself a silent round of applause by silently clapping my hands together.

It is not fancy, and it wouldn't be fancy because the "wife's" in the family take care of the home, so he simply prepares a couple of sandwiches for us to eat.

Now that we have our home back again, he says to his wife as he begins to make his way towards the living room, "Let's go dine in the living room and watch TV, shall we?"

This is also something unusual for us, as the majority of our meals are often consumed in the kitchen.

I walk behind him and sit on the couch next to him. He then hands me my glass of milk and my sandwich before turning on the television.

"What are you looking forward to watching?" As he takes a big bite out of his sandwich, he poses the question while a drop of mayonnaise lands on his chin.

To which she replies, "It doesn't matter," while shrugging her shoulders and taking a few sips of her milk.

As he flips through the channels on the television, he says to himself, "Let me see if I can locate my wife something that I know she likes." When he comes across Texas Chainsaw playing, he stops flipping channels and puts the remote control down.

Naturally, he would be aware of the shows that I enjoy watching.

I was really hoping it would be Rebecca, but when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, I realized it was just Cain.

I haven't seen her in a few weeks, and Cain hardly ever brings up the subject of her, so my anxiety over her health is through the roof.

I have so many questions, but I'm afraid to ask the incorrect ones in case I get the wrong answers.

He greets the Colt with a "Hey bro" before settling into the chair that is adjacent to it.

"Parents have departed on their way to visit Sean at his palace. It looks like his wife is going to give birth "Colt tells him.

He replied with a bored shrug of his shoulders and the statement, "Yeah, father and I spoke earlier."

"How is Rebecca doing?" I couldn't help myself and had to question him because I'm too worried about her right now. I have not seen her in a few days.

When I cut in on their talk, both Colt and Cain's gaze immediately turn to me.

Before taking a nibble of my stomach, I murmur, "I'm just wondering how she was feeling. I haven't seen her in a while."

"I really have no idea. She has a persistent cough that brings up blood, and she claims that she isn't feeling very well." He utters the phrase as he shifts his focus to the television.

Blood?

How can he say anything like that so flippantly?

As I stare at him, I put my sandwich down on the plate that's in front of me.
"Doctor?" I asked him softly.

"Yes, if she were better trained, I could bring her to one, but since she isn't, I can't because I can't allow her to be the one to bring a warning to anyone. She may act out, and the entire family will be arrested and sentenced to prison "He barked at me angrily.

"Cain, she is simply concerned about your wife since she considers her to be her family as well. Her sister In law." Colt barks back at Cain and places his hand on my leg. He give it a gentle squeeze as if he is attempting to assure me.

At least he is standing up for me.

"I know, but she needs to understand we can't just do normal things the way we live," he sighs loudly at his brother."

Colton responds by telling him, "She will, give her time."

As I sit here, I close my eyes and roll them slowly inward toward the back of my head.

"Would you mind if I went to see her?" I asked Colt.

After saying, "Sure, wife," he leaned over and kissed the top of my head before standing up and taking my plate from my lap.

After giving him my thanks, I turned and headed up the stairs in the direction of Cain and Rebecca's room.