Chapter 37

I go to the refrigerator to see what I can prepare for dinner, and I take a package of sausage out of the freezer.

That's a good start, next I head to the cupboard in search of anything that can be served alongside it. Eventually, I find some potatoes.

I could make sausage and potatoes, but I'm not sure if that would satisfy Colton's appetite. I make my way slowly to the cabinets that hold the pots and pans and take out the ones I'll need to make both the sausage and the potatoes.

After turning on the heat, I swiftly chopped the sausage into bite-sized pieces.

Once I have the sausage cut up and put into the skillet to start browning, I will start cooking the sausage with the potatoes. I like potatoes and sausage, so I think Colton and the other members of the family will like it too.

My mom used to make this all the time.

I take the bag of potatoes out of the pantry and begin washing, peeling, and halving each one before throwing them all into a large pot filled with water and allowing them to boil until they are tender and cooked through.

Should I cook a side dish to go with the meal?

Maybe bake something?

I'm not sure what all they have around this kitchen, but I do know that I need to make this food well. I don't to embarrass Colton, because if I do, I know that I'll end up back in the basement. I don't know what all they have around this kitchen, but I do know that I need to make this food well.

As I was searching through the cabinets, I came across some chocolate cookie mix, which turned out to be the very last one.

I got lucky.

I immediately get to work by setting the timer for the oven to begin preheating, after which I grab a bowl and proceed to follow the instructions that are printed on the side of the box.

1 tsp of sugar.
3 eggs.
1 cup serving of milk

I quickly grab the eggs from the refrigerator, open them with a knife, and toss them into the bowl along with the milk. Then, I begin to stir the ingredients together, mixing the eggs, water, and milk together until the cookie mix appears to be a little on the thick side.

Just before the timer on the oven goes off, I put my finger in the bowl and scoop a tiny amount of the mixture onto the tip of my finger in order to ensure that it has a pleasant flavor.

I open the oven door, slide the cookie sheet inside, and immediately turn the timer back on for another quarter of an hour.

I take a moment to step away from the stove and survey the rest of the kitchen. Observing that it is somewhat cluttered, I quickly wipe down the counter tops and toss the cookie box, thereby ensuring that the kitchen is tidy.

Because my entire body is in such excruciating pain, all I want to do is crawl into bed and sleep for days on end, but I can't because I know that if he gives me another lesson like the one the other night, I won't be able to withstand it.

I have no choice but to push through the discomfort in order to do this task; otherwise, I will have to deal with that nonsense once more, and I'm not prepared for that.

both in terms of the mind and the body.

I just can't take it any longer.

Leaning back against the counter, I begin to think of a plan, I need to get out of here I can feel myself starting to give in, and the older version of myself is gradually disappearing as I speak. I need to get out of here.

As a matter of fact, I made certain that I was attired appropriately before coming down here. I didn't even give it a second thought. I simply knew what my husband wanted, and I complied with his wishes.

What exactly is going on with me? I can't give up. I need to keep on fighting against the shit that's shouting inside my head. But what can I do?

My mind is starting to scream at me to be a good perfect wife for Colton.

At least I'm not chained right now. If Colton wouldn't still bind me to the bed throughout the night. I could make an attempt to escape during the nighttime hours. If I leave the house during the day, I still have no idea where to go or where the door to the fence is, and that was only a problem if I could get by Colton and Cain.

My friends and family must be missing me. I feel terrible about Lucky.  I'm sure he's crying right now. Oh! I really hope that someone is watching out for my baby boy. I think about him all the time.

I had been feeling lonely at night and decided to go to the animal shelter that was only a few minutes away from my home. I was looking for something to keep me company. As I made my way through the kennels, I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the animals there until I came across a small lab puppy curled up in one of the corners of his cage. As soon as he looked at me, I knew we were meant to be together.

I can't give up, I can't give in to what he's trying to make me into. I have to fight for this. I have no other choice. All I need to do is remind myself over and over again that I am mentally stronger than his remarks and his beatings.