Chapter 21

"FINALLY. You are awake! We had been up for quite some time. In all my years, I have never come across a girl that is quite so slothful. It is the responsibility of a wife to wake up before her husband. To ensure that he has all he requires for the day ahead of him." As soon as I go to the table, my mother yells at me, and I haven't even had a chance to sit down before she starts berating me for something.

Last night, your fucking son made my body feel like it was going through hell.  So please excuse the shit out of me, you old hag.

Oh, how I wish I could give her a good old-fashioned smack across the face for looking so vile!

Four hours? It's only 7:30 in the morning. When exactly do they all get out of bed? This is pretty early for me.

Colt informed me that breakfast will be served at 8:00, so getting downstairs at 7:30 shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

I am aware that my body is not in the condition necessary to take another lesson today. Therefore, I will need to monitor what I say. I also should surely check my tone when I speak to the mother.

She is going to seize the opportunity to teach me yet another lesson. I am not going to give her the joy of succeeding in doing so.

Do you know what she brings to mind for me? That cunning and mischievous cat from Alice in Wonderland is constantly up to no good.

I give her a phony smile but at least it's a smile as I look up at her and tell her, "Your son and I had a hard night. I'm sorry, mother."

I conclude by calling her by a more affectionate name, thinking that calling her mother might make her happy. However, I quickly learn my lesson when she lashes out at me once more as soon as that word left my mouth.

"You are not my child in any way! You need to address me as Ma'am. You have no respect!" Before taking another sip of her coffee, she spits in my direction.

I really hope that nasty look freezes on her face right now. That would be just be exactly what she deserved.

Is it simply impossible to win this woman over? What the actual fuck am I supposed to be doing?

I swiftly retract my self.

I mumble, "Yes ma'am, I'm sorry," while still making an effort to manage the tone I use with this whore.

"Good. To make up for the fact that you were being a slug this morning and oversleeping. You are going to have to do the cooking. Isn't that right?" The mother flashes Rebecca a grin before looking at her daughter with an expression that suggests she is daring Rebecca to disagree with her.

Rebecca remains silent and simply shakes her head in agreement. Yes.

The woman's mother yells at Rebecca in a loud voice, "Speak UP!" while banging her freshly painted nails on the kitchen table, which causes poor Rebecca to jump in her seat. "Speak UP!"

Rebecca mutters, "Yes, you are correct," but at least she doesn't sound too happy about having to say that. "She should cook."

Okay, they asked me to cook, and I'm doing it; at least I can rest easy knowing that this dysfunctional family isn't trying to kill me off by poisoning the food.

With a gentle sigh I get started on the cooking, and while I'm doing so, I notice that our egg carton is always full of gorgeous white eggs. Despite the fact that our stock of other groceries is decreasing. We must have a lot of chickens.

I take five pieces of bread, place them over the skillet. I cook them for a brief period of time in order to get the bread nice and toasted. Next, I remove cheese from the refrigerator, place a slice of cheese over each piece of bread. Allowong the cheese to melt on top of the bread for a few minutes. Finally, I place the sandwiches on individual plates.

I start to scramble the eggs as I dig them out of the carton. It doesn't even matter to me if the others desire a different variety of eggs or not. They are going to get scrambled.

At this stage, they either consume it or they do not.

After finishing the eggs a few minutes later, I went to the freezer and took out what appeared to be links of sausage. I then started frying them up, causing the meat to take on a slightly browned and crispy appearance, and I served each person with one on their plate.

After walking to the dish cabinet, I take out five glasses. Arrangeing them all around the table. However, I don't bother to prepare the drinks because I won't know what the boys will want to drink until they come inside. Instead, I walk to the refrigerator and place milk and orange juice jugs in the center of the table.

I check down at the dishes to ensure that I have prepared sufficient food for everyone. Giving Colton a few more eggs than the rest of the people.

It's possible that if I'm good to him, he'll appreciate it or that me being nice to my husband will go a long way. After making sure that everything that is on the plates is, I guess, not perfect but at least looks a bit decent. I slowly start to lay the plates out on the table in front of everyone's seat. Right as I start to sit down, I hear the kitchen door swing open. Colton and Cain walk into the room.