Chapter 23

After we have finished eating. Colton hands me an old pair of women's work boots that I believe belonged to his mother in the past. I hurriedly put them on and then followed him out of the house.

I can't wait for the sun to warm my skin. I need it to reassure myself that I'm still alive and to help me remember that I will. God willing, be free once more in the future.

That is all I can believe in and cling to as a possibility.

I close my eyes and take pleasure in the sensation of the hot sun beating down on my skin. It has been days since I've felt the sun on my skin. It is wonderful to finally be able to breathe in some fresh air.

I slowly open my eyes and look around to see if there is any way I can get out from here. It seems as though the woods are continuing in the same direction as the tree line after the farm. I am curious as to how far we are from the closest town or even another house.

"If you are considering a runaway wife, then I would urge you to reconsider the idea because the land is surrounded by an electric fence." As I follow Colton to the structure that looks like a chicken coop. He says something to the effect that "you wouldn't be able to make it beyond it and it will only piss me off if I had to chase you."

I quickly shake my head and say, "No, I wasn't thinking about that. I was just looking at my new home. I haven't seen anything since I arrived." I mutter in a low voice while silently thanking God that the word "home" didn't cause me to suffocate.

"Good, come, let's collect some eggs. The hens lay almost every morning. So we always have to come to collect them before they can sit on them for too long.  Otherwise we wouldn't have an egg to cook; instead, we would have an egg with a baby chick inside," Colton said, before handing me a bucket and opening the gate to the hen house.

I heaved a sigh. I have never been in the same room with hens before. They do appear to be somewhat hostile.

I was curious, so I asked him, "Do they bite?"

"No, they don't bite," he said. He laughs so hard that he can't breathe, and he laughs at me as if I'm the funniest person he's ever encountered.

"They will peck you if you upset them too much. I think they are very used to us humans by this point, your safe wife." He smiles at me and gestures for me to enter into the building.

I enter the enclosure cautiously and wait for him to go ahead and close the gate behind him before I do the same.

It's fine if he goes first.

While I follow slowly behind them and look at all of the hens as they wander around the pen. He leads the way ahead of me.

I make my way over to the nearest chicken and stare at him or is it her? I guess it's a she because it's dozing off on something that resembles an egg. I don't believe roosters sit on eggs.

"Is she going to move? How can I get a hold of the egg?" I asked him.

While he is leaning on the wall of the chicken house and laughing gently, he says, "Just grab the egg baby. She will get out of the way."

As the chicken begins to make sounds similar to squawking. I slowly reach under her and wrap my fingers around the egg. Immediately after, I quickly pull it out from under her.

Oh my god, she has an angry expression on her face.

As I hastily placed the egg in the basket, I stepped back to allow her space and move to the side.

After another 10 minutes, there are approximately 30 eggs in the pail.

He removes it from my possession and places it behind the closed door.

"Let's go make sure the other animals have fresh water and feed wife." I follow him around as he feeds and waters the horses and cows at the same time.

I had no idea that they could be kept in the same area as each other. Then again, I'm not that knowledgeable about farming.

I would have thought they would engage in some sort of conflict, but I suppose not.

I take a step closer to the horse that is closest to me and put my hand out to pet her. She becomes startled and bolts away from me, causing me to take a backward leap.

Colton tells me with a small smile spreading across his lips that "They need to get used to you before they will allow you to walk up on them," and this time that one actually appears to be kind. "They need to get used to you before they will allow you to walk up on them."

Why does he have such a sinister side, considering that he can occasionally be extremely sweet? It makes me curious to think about the kind of upbringing this man received.