Chapter 46

I'm jolted awake and have no idea what's going on. I open my eyes wide in an effort to shake off the sleepiness as my hair is pulled and I'm yanked out of bed, landing hard on my knees in the front of the bed. I don't know why I was sleeping so soundly. As the pain intensifies, I instinctively reach for my head and feel my hands becoming entangled in the hair. I quickly look up to see Colton yelling down at me.

Oh! Shit.

Did I leave the door open by accident?

Were there cameras, and he managed to catch me on them?

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I didn't even consider that. I can feel my blood pressure quickly increasing as a result of how terrified I am right now, which is causing my heart to beat so quickly that I feel like I'm about to pass out.

Because he is not making any sound, I am left wondering what is going on. The silence is becoming increasingly unsettling to me. I can't believe I was that stupid, I should have thought about cameras, but I was in such a hurry to run and get away that I didn't give it much thought. I can't believe I was that stupid.

I should have forced my body over that wall damn with being shocked and cut. I would have but what condition would I have been in once I had crossed over it?  Hardly able to walk at all? Barley alive? I have no idea how far away I am from the nearest town.

What are the chances of me passing out if I cut myself too deeply? I wanted to cross that bare wired fence. Believe me I did, but in the end. I knew that if I did, I could get hurt and I wouldn't be able to get away from Colton if he somehow found me. Then I knew what would happen: he would become so enraged that he would have killed me by beating me to death. Ultimately, I decided not to cross the fence because I knew that if I did, I could get hurt.

"Wife, did you forget to do something on the list of chores you had yesterday?" He yells at me and jerks his fingers farther into my hair, which causes me to jerk my head even further upwards to stare at him.

What about my to-do list?

Is that the reason for him acting this way?

Oh, thank god.

I'm in such a good mood that I have to press my lips together tightly in order to contain the ridiculous giggle that's trying to sneak out between them.

Oh, I'm so happy he didn't notice.

"ANSWER ME!" he yells as he kneels down in front of me and yells in my face. I have the feeling that some of his saliva is flying in my direction.

I screamed out loud, "No, husband I didn't," while my heart rate picked back up to its normal levels.

Didn't I check off every single item on that annoying list?

"You did; when I woke up, I double checked everything to make sure it was all finished, and you fucking missed something. Wife, I need you to put some serious thought into this question right now and give me the perfect response. What. Did. You. Forget. To. Do.?" He asks me in a quiet, deliberate manner while gradually pulling his fingers deeper into my hair.

I skim through the list really quickly.

Bed, baths, living room, rugs, and floors are all included. I cleaned them by sweeping and using a mop.

I completed every item on that silly list of mine!

When I'm unsuccessful, I find myself shaking my head.

He jerks my body up, forcing me to stand in front of him, and asks me to remember what I miss.

"You completely forgot to clean the fucking refrigerator. I have made it extremely easy for you to understand. I even took time out of my morning to make that. You can't read because if you could, you would have done everything I asked you to do! Do you think that your mother would be pleased with you at this moment? You are a terrible choice for a wife Abby. I am extremely, extremely disappointed in you "He releases his grip on my hair but immediately puts his hand on my arm and begins to drag me out of the bedroom through the open door.

I'll start crying after saying something like, "I'm sorry, I'll get it done right after breakfast I promise."

"If that is the case, I suggest that you start showing gratitude for the things that I, as your husband, am able to provide for you rather than disrespecting me. He snarls, while he begins to drag me towards the basement.

Oh!

No. No. My body and mind can not take anymore of his lessons.

After each lesson, I have the distinct impression that my mind is deteriorating and becoming less stable. If he continues to treat me in this manner, I don't know if I'll ever be able to get over the fact that I'm losing myself.

"Please Colt. I beg you. Dont bring me back down there." I begged him, feeling his hand tightened around me as he drags me down the steps.

"No. I can't take this anymore. You are ungrateful. I take care of you, I make sure you have a roof over your head, and all I want is that you at least express some gratitude for what I do for you." As he shoves me against the wall and yells at me, my shoulder collides violently with the surface, causing me to lose my balance and tumble to the icy ground below.

My scream echoed off the walls of the basement that surrounded us, and I yelled out as loudly as I could, "I am sorry."

My body is jerked up, and he begins to bind my back to this goddamn wall, ratcheting up the tension on the chains so that they are tightly wrapped around me.

This location is my very own personal nightmare on earth.