Chapter 28

I must have nodded off while sitting on the couch because when I come to and gently sit up, I notice that the chain is still around my leg. Colt and Cain are not in the room.

I turn to look to the side and notice a note that has been left onto the side table. I reach my arm to the table and pick it up.

To my dear and lovely wife,

We went into town. There is no need to worry about dinner. We will find something to eat there. Do not be concerned. I have not forgotten, and I will get you a book. We won't be gone for long, but in the meantime, feel free to kick back. Stretch out on the couch, and enjoy a movie. I prepared you a sandwich and poured some juice for you to drink. I ask that you eat everything and then take some time to relax and enjoy yourself. I love you

Your husband, in every way.
Colton

I drag my body to sit up straight, and then I reach out and grab the juice and the sandwich before reclining and starting to devour it as rapidly as I can.

I was unaware of how hungry I actually was.

When my husband tells me to do something I have to obey and right now I'm not complaining about it. I sit back down on the couch, turn on the television, and look for a movie that I can watch. When I find one that I'm interested in after reading about what it's about, I do exactly what he says. Relax.

COLTONS P.O.V

As we make our way into town. I look up and see nothing but posters for my stunning wife. It seems that people don't understand the customs that our family have. Its sad really. All we want to do is love and protect our family.

It's a tragedy, but it's something that our family has come to accept.

Our family is never put in harm's way by us.

To start things off, I insist that we go to the bookstore and look for some old books that are on sale for a quarter each. This deal is excellent and simply cannot be topped. I was only going to buy her one book, but after seeing this sale I'll get her four instead. Not bad, four books a one dollar. She is going to be so happy because she won't have been expecting this many. It would be a pleasant and happy shock.

As I step back into the truck and set them on the seat next to Cain, I have the distinct impression that I am the world's best husband.

"Books? I thought you joking around with her when you said that." He has a hearty laugh.

"What? Reading brings her joy, and she is a voracious reader. She has been a very good wife as of late, and she is deserving of some reward "I say this in an aggravated and combative manner.

I don't care about the things that he does for his wife. I don't care about the things that he buys for her, either. All I want is for him to shut the hell up and stop giving me that look of judgment that's written all over his face.

It doesn't mean that I can't go above and beyond for Abby simply because he doesn't make an effort to make Rebecca happy in the same way that I do.

We make a quick stop at the feed store and stock up on supplies for our animals. After that, I tell my father that we are going to make our next stop at the discount clothing store that our family always shops at. Since Abby doesn't have many clothes to choose from and the weather is only going to become colder from here on out, she will need to more clothes.

I don't want other men to believe that I don't treat my wife with the respect that she deserves until she is able to come out into town with me at a later time.

I run into the shop in a hurry, eager to see her again. I browse the racks, select four dresses, and hand the clerk fifteen dollars in exchange for them.

So even that isn't such an awful deal.

I turn around and head back to the vehicle, where I hurl the dresses on top of the books while Cain can only shake his head.

We make a few more stops before we get to the grocery store, which we save for last. Although we primarily get our meat from our own animals. It isn't a bad idea to keep a few snacks in the house at all times. I went and got Abby a bar of chocolate, and I added that to the little pile I had already made for her.

It is going to bring her a great deal of joy.

The thought that I am the best husband ever causes a surge of pride to course through my body, and it makes me want to stick my chest out in triumph.

After we are finished, I tell my father I will drive. I ended up driving much more quickly than I should in order to get home as quickly as possible so that I can see the expression on her face.