Chapter 47

How much longer am I going to remain down here? My arms and legs have gone numb. I try to move them around but I honestly can not even tell if they are moving at all.

That is to say, I have spent the past few days leaning up against this wall, just like I did the last time.

My throat feels like it is full of broken glass because of how loudly I have been shouting to be released, and my face is crusty because of all the crying that I have been doing.

My stomach has been growling for more food and right now it is hurting because I am so hungry. Colts has been feeding me bread and water for several days, but only once a day. This is not enough to make my stomach happy.

I scream "Let me out!" before my voice cracks into a low whisper. I try to wiggle my arms out of the chains, but I can barely feel enough to pull hard enough on the chains. I try to free myself from the chains by wriggling my arms.

Because of my tears, my cheeks feel as though they are made of ice. My body has the sensation of being an ice sickle. I had the distinct impression that they are about to shatter like glass, and I believe he turned down the temperature on purpose to increase my level of anguish; his plan was successful.

I have to get out, and I swear I'll be good once I do!

I hear the door bang, and then all of a sudden I hear a woman scream.

What was that?

I manage to squeak out and yell as loudly as I can despite the pain in my throat, "Hello, COLT LET ME OUT PLEASE I PROMISE I WILL BE A GOOD WIFE PLEASE."

The woman continues to sob and shout, and I have absolutely no idea what she is saying, which is making my anxiety level rise even further. I can't believe how exhausted I am.

"Both of you have lost your minds! Let me go "At that point in time, she was yelling loudly enough for me to be able to make out what she was saying.

Since I have been unable to find out how much time has passed, I can only assume that Cain has already wed another woman. It feels like days have passed since the last time I have seen any kind of light. I am aware that I needed to find a way out of this situation, but as the days and nights began to blur together, my mind started to fracture once more. Because I haven't been very thankful of the things that Colton does for his family, I need to work on becoming a better wife.

He is absolutely right about that; in order to learn how to be a good wife to him, I need to start cleaning and cooking better. I'm aware that my mental state is in a terrible state, but the fact that I've been stuck down here for so long is beyond my control. I'm only talking to myself because Colton isn't saying a word to me while he's letting me out of the chains to eat and urinate before re-chaining me to the wall.

I may have ten minutes of freedom once a day, but mostly I am confined here. Chained up to this wall.

I can make out Cain yelling at the woman to behave herself, and she is sobbing very loudly. She needs to just give in; trust me, things will work out better for her in the long run if she does.

I scream out, "COLT PLEASE I PROMISE I WILL BE A GOOD WIFE PL-S," as I can feel the fog beginning to form in my head.

Colton starts walking through the door of the basement as it slams open, and then continues walking down the steps.

He approaches me, stands in front of me, and does nothing except stare at the condition I'm in.

"Have you learned anything from this experience, Wife?" He asks me questions.

"Y-yes husband. You was absolutely correct in giving me this lesson. I promise that I will be a better wife to you in the future. I learned my lesson." I found that even though I pleaded with him, I was telling the truth about it. I am going to put up the effort necessary to live up to his expectations of a wife from now on.

"The only reason I'm letting you go is so that Cain may teach his new wife her first lesson, but we'll see how that turns out in a moment. You will be responsible for clearing out the refrigerator as well as the freezer, just as I had asked you to, and you will be chained up again until you can convince me that you have learned your lesson."He tells me this as he starts to let my ankles out of the chain, and once he unlocks my wrist, I feel my legs out of my back up and hold the steps in return, and they hold me up to hold back up to hold me of the basement. He does this while simultaneously letting my ankles out of the chain.

While I turned my head and watched the basement recede further and farther behind me, I silently made a pledge to myself that I would never come back down here again. I will put in the effort that is required of me, and I will mature into the kind of wife that Colton ought to have from me.

My consciousness has faded away, my previous life has been exiled, and what is left is a void filled with memories that are gradually being pushed out by the new ones that I am making with the Colts.

As we reach the top of the stairs, I find Cain straining to keep a girl with dark hair who has blood coming from her lips and is trying to fight for her life.

She is flailing her arms and legs about in an attempt to free herself from his hold, but she is going to be unsuccessful. It is impossible to escape. It is necessary for her to come to terms with her new existence, just as I have done at this point. The sooner she understands that, the higher the likelihood that her life will improve here.