Realisation

"Agni! Agni! Open your eyes! Agni please! It is me, your Shruti calling! Hey please wake up, I need you!" The echoing loud voice of Shruti was brought to a halt by the impatient serious voices of the medical service providers. 

"Ma'am please stay aside, you cannot come inside the room. Don't worry we will make sure to try saving this young man." Saying that the door of the intensive care unit was shut on her face leaving her alone in a crying mess. Shruti in disbelief and shock took altering steps towards the seat nearby and sat there unable to speak or cry properly as she wished. She sat there staring at the blank wall. All her memories and moments with Agni kept repeating in her head. All those moments he did not hesitate to jump in front of threats to save his loved ones, all those moments he was ready to sacrifice his life for her, all those moments when he took care of her when no one did, all those moments when he was there when she had no one, all those moments when he loved her unconditionally! 

***

I noticed Kritika's car pulling over in the middle of a lonely forest area road with nothing new or interesting in front of our sight. It was just greenery and I wondered what she was going to do here and what kind of threat to life someone would face in the middle of this abandoned road. I waited in my car staring at hers for her to get out of her car so that I could do something. After some minutes she got out with her focus on me, she was looking dead serious and I felt like she was analysing the situation to start doing something stupid. I could not understand what this girl was up to this time. She was unpredictable as usual. As I was about to open my car door she set off to a run hurriedly and I too in an intention not to let her get out of my hands rushed up to her without caring about our cars in the middle of the road. I guess this was her plan, to try running away from me after successfully failing to run away with her car in the first place. How will I make my woman understand that all these tricks are not new for her husband who learned to survive by feeding on other's lives? 

***

Before reaching my brother's place I stopped my car planning to run away through the forest towards his house in an attempt to leave Richard behind and stop him from finding out his enemy's hideout. But as always he was right behind me, maybe running faster than me because I felt the distance between us decreasing in no time. My struggles to get away from him were failing as usual. I tried hard not to fall down while running but at last I was suddenly on the ground on top of a muscular body of a man. It took me sometimes to understand what had just happened. As soon as Richard got a hold on my dress while running, he pulled me backwards to him making both of us land on the ground with a thud and me on top of him. This time too he stopped me from getting hurt. I felt a sudden rush of guilt thinking how everyone was trying to save me by risking their lives. I was not too far away from my brother's house because the house had already come into sight when Richard caught me.

"You failed again Mrs. De Vil!" Richard's hoarse voice panting hardly sent shivers down my spine. His tight harsh grip on me gave me a bit of pain as I tried standing up by getting out of his hold but that pain helped me understand how upset he was towards my irresponsible clumsy actions which were all for a good reason and I couldn't explain why I was doing it all. 

Knowing very well that by forcing or struggling I can't get away from him, I tried staying calm and dealing with the situation wisely before wasting any more time so I cupped his face suddenly looking straight into his eyes while still being on top of him and I spoke.

"My dear husband. Please try to understand that your wife is not doing it all without a reason. Please let me go. I must deal with this alone. I can't let you interfere, please." Richard was listening to me patiently and he loosened his grip on me without breaking our eye contact and kissed me on my lips unexpectedly and said.

"I can't let you go alone, my Fairy. I can't let you risk your life because your life is mine. And if you are hurt, I will be too. So fight as much as you want but I am never leaving your side." His voice firm and serious told me I can't change his decision and with two debating minds, I let him come with me. 

We got up and walked fastly to the house ahead of us. My heart was beating faster due to nervousness and fear. I was praying hard to find my brother and his family safe. Richard seemed surprised to find Shakti's house. I was surprised too, not because I found that house for the first time, but because of seeing the bloody handprints on the front door which was left partially open.

***

"He got hit by a car that was about to hit Kritika?!" Nick let out a shriek as Kaira gasped hard in front of Shruti who sat as if she was dead or paralyzed not meeting her eyes with anyone after she spilled the truth. Seeing Shruti's numb state, Nick started shaking her slowly.

"Dreamy, come on. Don't be like this. He is going to be fine." Nick tried comforting but there was no change in Shruti's expressions.

"Shru-ti? Shruti, calm down. I can understand what you're feeling." Kaira with puffy eyes and tired voice spoke while patting Shruti's back. Shruti then slowly lifted her gaze to look at Kaira and suddenly hugged her harder leaving both Agni and Kaira shocked. 

"I- I'm sorry, Kai. I fai-led to understand yo-u, Kri-ti and my Ag-ni." Shruti spoke with her stuttering voice as the tears were making their way out of her eyes quickly. Neither Kaira nor Nick could understand what was going on in Shruti's mind. But without hesitating Kaira embraced Shruti whole heartedly trying to comfort her because she realised that what Shruti was feeling at that moment was what Kaira was going through the moment she got to know about Lucas.