Regret

“This definitely is a medical miracle, someone who was poisoned and got in a serious accident is getting one more chance in life. Lucas is lucky.” The doctor exclaimed after examining Lucas who laid in a shabby room on a not so cosy bed with all the required medical equipment beside him. His hand was poked with a needle supplying necessary fluids with medicine to his frail body yet the strong muscles were still struggling to be out of the tight hospital dress. His eyes closed, his ears vigilant but limbs temporarily paralyzed and mind was functioning again. His first thought came rushing with he name Kaira. Yes, my Kaira, where is she? Is she alright? Is she aware?  He thought and then came the second thought, Richard. Where is he? Lucas thought but couldn't act. He heard everyone talking and he did not recognise any of those voices to be of Kaira or Richard. After losing his senses in the car he regained them in the hospital with unfamiliar people around him who were the hospital staffs, he opened his eyes only for a few seconds and his blurry vision did not allow him to see anyone clearly but yet he was sure Kaira wasn't there, he could recognise her from miles away no matter what. Even though he tried waking up, his body did not allow it. And he laid there being unconcious for others but being well conscious inside his head. And then he heard it, the voice he was longing to hear, the voice of the woman he loves the most but it sounded so painful and heartbroken that it did not fail to leave him in despair. Lucas wanted to wake up and hug her, he wanted to see the happiness on her face, he wanted to greet her with a smile while blaming her for worrying too much and that he is Lucas and he would never leave her alone but then again his body did not take his orders, it functioned on its own, it was shut off. But his eyes spoke, streamed down a pearl of tear from his eyes that held pain. Soon unknowingly he again drifted into a sleep and when he was back to his mind he expected to wake up properly opening both his eyes sitting up straight on bed but then again he was only awake inside his mind, he heard voices again but this time they were familiar. He recognised the voices, he understood those were his people, Richard's men. 

"Any news about boss?" The family doctor enquired to recieve a negative  response from all. 

"But the last time sir spoke, he sounded so weak." One guy from the group added to the conversation.

They didn't knew exactly where Richard was, all they knew was he was the one who called and ordered them to move Lucas to a safe hiding place that he suggested. Lucas grew anxious as he learned about Richard's absence and unsure situation. If Lucas could wake up, he would jump out of the bed throwing out all the uncomfortable stitches from his body and would go to search for Richard. But he couldn't he could only lay there motionless.

***

Kaira too was laying motionless on the other side but the difference was her mind wasn't conscious as Lucas's. She was in a soundless sleep unintentionally. Nick sat beside her keeping her hand in his while caressing it. His head lowered to hide his weeping face. He was regretting everything but at the same time he knew that it all was not entirely his fault. He did warn Kaira, he did try to save her but only after knowing about the truth. He failed to find out the truth before it was late and he blamed himself for not plucking out the flower of love which grew in her heart when it was just a bud. Now the flower has grown too much and it controls her and its fragrance spreads every where. The flower was waiting for the bug but it did not arrive and so the flower started withering and soon shall die. Nick should find the bug in order to keep the flower alive but he loathed the bug and wished he could crush it under his feet but the thought of the flower made him weak. After a while he left the room making sure Kaira was fine and went to check up on Shruti and Agni. 

***

“I was a fool.” Shruti mumbled to herself while tightly holding onto Agni's wallet. When he was transfered to the operation theater all his belongings were given to his bystander which was Shruti. She went through his things as she sat there alone. That's when her hands roamed over his wallet, she opened it and her suppressed tears formed a cascade looking at the things she found inside. There were Shruti's pictures inside his wallet. Her picture from when she was a child and a picture of present which she took with him as a selfie for fun. Behind the pictures there was a note, she took it and read it making way for more tears. It was a note of names of foods that were allergic to her, Agni also noted down Shruti's little wishes that she used to share with him randomly and the activities she hated to do were also mentioned. Agni used to pick out important points from their conversation, he was a listener and paid attention to her blabbering. Shruti felt more devastated as she turned the paper, there was a handwritten message from Agni. 

To the one who is reading this, I am sure you wouldn't be reading this if I was in a good state but it seems like my time has arrived to leave it all behind but before I go there's one thing I want to say, which I failed to say. I love you Shruti. I am sorry I wasn't courageous enough to tell you this when I lived. I want the best for you and I will even sacrifice myself to see you happy. Live a long healthy life ahead. I always enjoyed your childishness, I felt comfort in your presence, I felt caring in your words and I wanted to keep you safe till my end. I'm sorry to leave you, don't cry because my last wish will be to always  see you smile.  I hope this reaches the right person because at least once I want her to know how much I loved her.
        Yours Agni

The tears had soaked the paper before the last words were read. The pain Shruti felt in her chest was so huge that she fell on her knees still holding the paper close to her heart. She sat on the ground sobbing harder, regretting each and every second of her life. The love she longed for after the loss of her mother was always given by Agni but she failed to recognize it sooner. He was always there for her and yet she was a fool to not understand him. She couldn't accept his loss, she couldn't accept that his time has arrived. She wanted him to live, she would pay any price to let that happen. This time it wasn't Agni who was ready to die for Shruti, it was Shruti who was ready to do anything for him. She wanted a last chance to make it alright, she wanted to do things which she would never regret, she wanted to make upto her mistakes. She felt the same sorrow as she felt when her mother passed away. Since then Shruti has never cried heartily but at that moment she cried in the most depressed way ever. And she realised regret is the most painful thing in the world.