Ch. 31 Pain

Sam's POV:

Third person

Sam sat up, ignoring the spike of pain that shot up his spine. He was confused on how he was back in his room. What happened?

Sam glanced at Macy who was next to him. He gasped as she was pale and looked exhausted, almost like Sam when he looked in the mirror.

He rubbed his head, not wanting to wake her from the seemingly desperate rest she needed so he got up slowly, opening his room door.

Sam struggled to walk at first, then it became easier. He still was pretty slow, though.

He walked down the stairs one at a time. He checked the time after he was done and it was about 8:30.

Sam peered into the kitchen to see if anybody was there, and only Aaron and Corey were leaning on the counter, talking.

He walked to the doorway of the kitchen and took a moment to lean there.

"Oh! Sam!" Corey noticed him first.

"Morning.. What- What happened?" Sam asked, running his hands through his hair.

Aaron and Corey looked at each other.

"Is Macy awake?" Aaron asked after a minute of silence.

"No..?" Sam shook his head as he leaned more heavily on the doorframe, his bodyweight becoming more difficult to hold.

"You might want to sit down for this, then." Corey said, grabbing one of Sam's shoulders to help him to a kitchen chair.

After they sat down, Aaron started to explain.

"So.. Before we got inside, you like.. Collapsed. Colby thought it was because of just being tired and stuff and not having rest but then Macy.." He paused, looking at Corey.

"What? What happened to her?" Sam asked, slightly agitated at their hesitation.

"She got possessed." Corey said quietly.

Sam's eyes widened. "No.." He whispered, shaking his head.

Aaron and Corey both nodded. "It was.." Corey started.

"Terrifying." Aaron finished for him.

"I-" Sam was at a loss for words. Was this his fault? She came up to California to help him! Not get possessed! How much pain would she be in? Was her possession worse than Sam's? Did the thing come back? Did it follow them home?

Questions and panics swirled around in Sam's head as his hands ran through his hair.

Aaron and Corey looked like they didn't know what to say as Sam stood up quickly.

"I'm- ack.. I'm gonna go check- on her." He said as he struggled to keep his balance.

"No- sit down Sam, you're healing yourself." Corey said, getting up and placing a hand on his shoulder to steady him.

"No, I have to at least check on Macy.." Sam mumbled.

Aaron looked down at his feet as Corey shook his head. "It should be a minute till' she wakes up, get something to eat and just relax for a moment before stressing yourself out." He said calmly.

Sam huffed. "Fine." He said as he walked slowly to the pantry, looking for something quick to eat.

Corey rolled his eyes as Aaron got up to help him.

"So stubborn, Sam.." Corey said while grinning.

"Hey! I'm just looking out for her! Nothing wrong with that!" Sam protested with a small smile.