Chapter 3: Through the Portal

In West City's New Century Amusement Park, Gabriel moves through the lively crowd to a hidden side door marked 'Staff Only'. Pushing it open, he walks down a long corridor, ending at a heavy fire door, where a bald, muscular man sits. The guard looks up and grunts, "Ah, it's you, kid, back for your dad? Go on, he's inside," rhythmically knocking on the door.

The door soon opens, revealing a much larger space than expected, spanning three to four hundred square meters, filled with various gambling tables under dim, hypnotic lighting. Neon lights and chandeliers cast a kaleidoscope of colors. The air is thick with the smells of tobacco, alcohol, and sweat, a sensory overload.

Around the tables, a diverse crowd engages in intense gambling or murmurs in conversation, their faces etched with hope, excitement, or disappointment. Uniformed staff weave through the crowd, exchanging chips and maintaining order.

Gabriel quickly spots his father's exuberant figure beside a poker table.

Jonathan, brimming with excitement, rakes a large pile of chips toward himself. Feeling a tap on his shoulder, he turns to see Gabriel. His joy overflows, "Hey, son, you're here! Look, your dad's killing it today! Come on, try your luck."

"Dad, I need to talk to you," Gabriel says, already turning to leave.

Jonathan watches his son's retreating back, his eyes reflecting complexity. A moment later, he hastily scoops up his chips, shouting to the gamblers, "Stay put, I'll be right back to take all your money!" He rushes after Gabriel.

In a beer pub near the casino entrance, Jonathan takes a big gulp of beer, exhaling with satisfaction. Turning to Gabriel, he offers, "Want a drink, son? It's on me today. I'm on a lucky streak. I'll buy you something big, let you share my luck. What do you fancy? No matter, I'll surprise you."

"My mom's getting married tomorrow," Gabriel says calmly, interrupting his father's chatter.

Jonathan's laughter stops abruptly, then he bursts out, "Ha! That's a good joke, son."

Thump. A beautifully crafted wedding invitation lands before Jonathan, silencing him.

After a long pause, Jonathan speaks slowly, "Good for her, I guess." He shakes his head with a bitter smile, attempting to lighten the mood, "Congrats, congrats. Now, what should I wear tomorrow?"

"That invite's for me, not you," Gabriel clarifies.

"Oh, I can't just not show up now that I know. I'll win big tonight, give them a grand gift tomorrow. Oh, and maybe I'll sing my latest song, perfect for the occasion."

"Please, Dad, don't," Gabriel pleads, then adds, "Dad, you're nearing fifty. It's time to find someone reliable and settle down."

Jonathan strikes an exaggerated, almost comical pose, "Got you, that's all I need. Remember, I'm the man guarding your life."

Gabriel gives a bitter smile, "I'm not that six-year-old anymore. And besides, I won't be around much longer... Just take care of yourself." His gaze is irresistibly drawn back to the central countdown in his vision, a stark reminder of the urgency: 9 hours 51 minutes 21 seconds.