Chapter 11: Shadows Within and Beyond the Wall

Enveloped by the dusk, Satellite City No. 14 was shrouded in the shadow of war, akin to the cold night wind infiltrating every nook and cranny. In the modest quarters of the Sky family, Raimondo's snoring resounded like distant tanks on the battlefield, while Sky, restless and unable to sleep, lay on the sparse double bed, hands clasped behind his head, eyes staring at the ceiling, immersed in deep thought.

The events of this short day were so bizarre and overly stimulating, they completely overturned Sky's understanding of the world. Overwhelmed by a flood of fragmented memories, he now questioned his identity: was he still Sky, or had he morphed into the original Gabriel?

He tried to organize his tumultuous thoughts, revisiting the entire experience.

To Sky, the Aethercross World seemed like a flawless simulation of reality, a game where every sense and scene mirrored the actual world.

Identified as a "player" by the system's voice, it suggested his current conundrum: trapped in the surreal, virtual landscape of Aethercross, a game transcending reality.

His ongoing novice trial emerged as a rite of passage, a test determining entry into this game's domain. The penalty for failure? Death, as ominously forewarned by the system. Was it merely the end of his virtual journey in Aethercross, or a literal, spine-chilling cessation of life? The thought alone was terrifying.

Sky had no intention of risking his life to uncover the grim reality behind this daunting penalty. His sole focus was to channel every bit of his strength to overcome this trial.

The nature of this trial task was death-oriented, reminiscent of the fierce battle he had experienced today. He pondered whether failure in this trial instance world equated to actual death or, akin to traditional online RPGs, allowed for resurrection and a fresh start. In this world, where every sensation paralleled reality, even injuries were a stark reminder of the brutal reality of pain, as evidenced by the throbbing wound on his shoulder.

"Instance world" – this term was critical. If it held the same meaning as in online games in the real world, it indicated that this was merely a segment, a scene, or an instance map within a vaster game universe, potentially inhabited by other players.

"If we dissect it logically," Sky, deep in thought, furrowed his brow, "this task most likely necessitates completion within Satellite City 14.

In typical game design, players are not expected to traverse to another map for a side quest. It's merely a theory, yet there are significant clues bolstering this perspective, particularly in the quest's description.

Our mission starts with leaving the city to assist the city guards in escorting a group of refugees in, bringing in new residents, and ensuring their survival until the war concludes.

The first half is done; the remaining challenge is their survival until the war's end.

Undoubtedly, the crux of the quest hinges on Arachne's survival. She's far from ordinary, a notion underscored by the syringe Duncan, the gene researcher, left her as he lay dying.