Chapter 59: Engage in battle

Hearing the scout's report, Marvin expressed his surprise, "The Firefeather Army? How could the Firefeather Army appear here?"

He composed himself, regaining his calm, "Explain clearly. How many from the Firefeather Army, from which direction did they come, and what kind of troops?"

The scout, gasping for breath, reported, "They came from the east, across the Deerfield River. Our squad of five initially encountered a scouting cavalry unit of theirs, also five strong. After a skirmish, we lost two brothers but killed four of them, with one escaping. However, we sensed something was amiss. Why would the Firefeather Army's scouts appear here? So, we followed the escaping scout cavalry further east, only to discover a large force of the Firefeather Army marching towards the Demonic Corridor. The exact number is unclear, but at least ten thousand by estimation. Primarily infantry, though we also spotted a small number of cavalry units on either side of their formation. We intended to observe closer, but were discovered. In the end, only I managed to return, the rest of my brothers sacrificed."

"A force of ten thousand?" Marvin's pupils contracted slightly, pondering for a moment before instructing a sergeant behind him, "Take everyone back immediately, activate the Demonic Corridor's defense mode, then split up to inform the nearby allied forces of this intelligence. Prepare for battle. I must rush to the nearest communication magic array to report this situation."

With that, Marvin leaped onto his demonic steed and galloped towards the nearest communication magic array. The sergeant took command of the remaining forces, turning the group around to speed away.

Soon, the entire Blackfeather Army's supply route buzzed with activity like a disturbed hornet's nest.

Every five kilometers along the Demonic Corridor, a small guard post was stationed, and every twenty-five kilometers, a small garrison. The mages stationed at these posts began to unseal the storage boxes of magical energy crystals, distributing special magical energy crystals to the stationed soldiers.

The soldiers, having received the crystals, dashed out of the posts, heading to the main root systems of the demonic vines facing east. They placed the magical energy crystals close to the main roots, then activated these special crystals following standard procedure.

Instantly, the surfaces of these demonic vines began to wriggle, spikes protruding rapidly, growing longer, and hardening. The preset enchantments within the magic energy crystals were activated, coating the vines and spikes with durability, fire resistance, sharpness, and other enchantments.

In the various small garrison stations, soldiers began donning armor, distributing weapons, and each received a small crystal bottle from the quartermaster to carry.

Then, squads of five, led by their sergeants, rushed to designated locations, rapidly assembling the troops. Soon, twenty squads formed a company of a hundred, then ten companies formed a thousand-strong battalion, with the centurions, followed by an additional company of direct guards, merging into the battalion's ranks. After brief motivational speeches, they set out.

From the north, three thousand-strong battalions advanced towards the anticipated attack position of the Firefeather Army; from the south, two more arrived. In a short time, a defense force of five thousand was assembled, showcasing the efficiency of the Blackwater Army's war machinery.