Chapter 38: The Novice Gift Pack

At the moment Sky signed his name on the floating screen, countless points of light on the screen magically condensed into a simple yet mysterious rune. The rune drifted gently before finally landing on Sky's forehead.

Sky felt a burning sensation on his forehead, and then the rune deeply imprinted itself there before disappearing without a trace.

Goddess Schiso 007 patted Sky on the shoulder, "Welcome to the organization, colleague. From now on, follow my lead. As long as I have a bite to eat, you won't go hungry."

Sky felt like he was in a dream. Was his starting point in this world really this high? His first role was as the sole assistant to the only true god of this plane.

"Is that all it takes? Am I now a divine official? Should I declare myself a prophet, or a pope?" Sky asked.

Schiso 007 replied, "Prophet, pope, guide, holy son – call yourself whatever you like. But in 'Eyes of the Deep Space', your official title is Planar Proxy. You can recruit your own assistants, known as Apostles in the 'Eyes of the Deep Space' system, on a temporary basis. If they perform well, they can become permanent."

"I kinda feel like 'Apostle' sounds cooler than 'Planar Proxy'," Lumiya muttered.

Ignoring her, Schiso 007 continued, "Now that you have our divine inscription, you represent our organization wherever you go. Let's see... Ah, that explosive hairstyle is quite unique. But looks alone aren't enough, you're still a mortal, and that won't do. If you represent us and someone just pins you to the ground, that's no good. But don't worry, the organization has thought of everything."

Sky was more concerned about the term 'explosive hairstyle'. Puzzled, he reached for his hair, "You mentioned explosive hairstyle... what exactly... Ah! What happened to my hair?" Sky cried out in alarm upon feeling his hair, which now resembled a hedgehog's.

"I think it looks good," said Schiso 007, "Do you want me to cast a Divine Hairstyling Spell so you won't need hair gel anymore?"

Sky shook his head frantically, "Then my image would be completely ruined."

"Image isn't about hairstyle, remember, it's about strength. Now, let's get you some office supplies." Schiso 007 gestured in the air, summoning a tiny blue chip. She tore open Sky's shirt and pressed the chip into his chest.

The blue chip merged into his skin, embedding itself in the subcutaneous fat of Sky's chest.

"The JM6 Embedded Protection System, standard issue for lower-tier divine officials in 'Eyes of the Deep Space'. It activates an energy shield and life-support system in response to fatal attacks or life-threatening environments, greatly increasing the wearer's survival chances. Consider it part of your Planar Proxy office supplies," she explained.

Sky pondered, then said, "So, my job will be dangerous."

"Of course," replied Schiso 007. "In myths and legends, which prophet or saint doesn't face death and hardship? We're not just telling stories here. The organization doesn't support idlers. Hardships are good for young people. Grow quickly, so the organization can trust you with more important tasks."

"What exactly is my job?" Sky inquired.

"For your three-month probation, mainly grow and develop, quickly shedding your mortal identity. Without gaining some supernatural abilities, who will take you seriously out there? Also, your family's castle is interesting. Explore it, there's a surprise waiting. I'm commandeering it as our divine nation's guesthouse on Earth. Keep running it as a rental property. I'll send some business your way, and remember to take good care of our guests. The next tenant should arrive tomorrow."