Chapter 20: The Mutant's Awakening

Sky was engulfed in excruciating pain, his senses overwhelmed by the battlefield's din and the ants' terrifying gnawing. His consciousness began to blur, a constant ringing in his ears muddying his perception.

In the thick of battle, he swung his chainsaw sword instinctively, cutting down the mutant giant ants in a daze.

A stark realization hit him: "I'm really going to die this time."

Raimondo's familiar scream pierced the chaotic noise, commanding Sky's attention. It wasn't a psychic connection; it was the sheer intensity of Raimondo's agony.

Summoning his waning strength, Sky looked towards Raimondo, who was in unspeakable pain. His large body rolled on the ground, clawing at himself in desperation. His screams, reaching a human limit, seemed to threaten the very integrity of his vocal cords.

The Swarm Master, observing from his mutant beetle, took notice of Raimondo, the unremarkable human. A confused frown creased his brow.

Mutants, once awakened, could sense each other's presence. The Swarm Master sensed an awakening power emanating from Raimondo, growing more potent by the moment.

In his hesitation, a more foreboding and powerful aura surfaced, unsettling even the seasoned awakener.

Sky felt a peculiar calm around him. The mutant ants nearby had ceased their movements, frozen in time.

Then, he sensed a chilling yet powerful presence behind him. It was like a meteor suddenly lighting up the night sky, illuminating life's darkest moments.

Slowly turning, Sky saw Arachne, expressionless, her eyes empty. An invisible breeze swirled around her, her long hair dancing in the air. Seemingly lifted by this breeze, Arachne began to float, suspended mid-air.

Her gaze shifted towards the Swarm Lord, her eyes ablaze with a spectral silver-white light. This ethereal glow, concentrated at her eyes, burned fiercely like twin stars of silver fire.

In that crucial moment, the lord of the Insect Swarm was enveloped in a chilling terror, a wave of malevolence emanating from the girl's slender figure, striking at him with its palpable intensity.

Around Arachne, mutant giant ants within a dozen meters abruptly pivoted, rushing towards the Insect Swarm Master. As they surged forward, other ants scattered in their wake, reminiscent of creatures fleeing from a formidable predator.

The Insect Swarm Master emitted a piercing shriek, his face twisting in agony, veins prominently bulging, his eyes a maelstrom of bloodshot rage. With immense telekinetic prowess, he directed the remnants of his loyal ant forces to engage in fierce combat with their insurgent kin.

Amidst the tumultuous battlefield, the Insect Swarm Master's eyes burned with dense killing intent, fixated on Arachne. "Rein in your arrogance, young one," he hissed, regaining his composure and summoning more mutant ants to the fray.

Beneath him, the mutant beetle realigned, its formidable 5-meter lance targeting Arachne.