Chapter 14: Settling into the Base

Colonel Reynolds seems to be in the know. It's likely that all Awakened are privy to some information about the mutated beings in the wastelands beyond the wall," Sky reflected, carefully controlling his expression to show confusion and surprise.

Colonel Reynolds' order was clear and firm, "Execute the order, now!"

Sky stood up, pushed aside his chair, and stood erect, meticulously following the colonel's orders to the point of being completely undressed.

The colonel circled him several times, examining every inch of Sky's skin. Once satisfied, he signaled Sky to dress again.

Returning to his seat, the colonel powered up his tablet to revisit Dr. Spencer's medical analysis report on Sky. His tone softened, "Don't stand there, sit down."

"Understood," Sky replied, pulling back his chair and sitting down firmly. His audacious act had seemingly been successful.

Sky deliberately chose to describe Arachne's sensing of a strong presence in the north as his own feeling, after careful consideration.

Firstly, he needed Colonel Reynolds' attention on his trial. This was crucial for gaining the Awakener's protection and support in the coming two days.

Secondly, it was essential to keep Arachne's situation secret. However, her unique abilities might be key to their mission. Sky aimed to glean more information from Colonel Reynolds to gain an advantage in upcoming tasks.

Thirdly, if his speculation is correct, the strong auras felt by Arachne could likely be the so-called Mutant Evolvers. Sky's goal was to alert the colonel, prompting the city's defenses to prepare.

Colonel Reynolds appeared highly responsive to this tactic.

After pondering, the colonel queried, "You mentioned sensing formidable entities nearing the city. Is this a persistent sensation? Can you determine how many there are and their distinct traits?"

Sky shook his head, "It's quite vague, and the feeling is intermittent." This was a fabrication. What Sky truly meant to say was, "In fact, whenever I have this sensation, I feel a gentle and warm energy spreading within me, much like basking in the sun, with every cell in my body enveloped in comforting warmth."

The colonel nodded in understanding, "Such a sensation could indeed be a harbinger of awakening. Each person's awakening experience varies, but a unique internal energy fluctuation is common before it happens. Our research on awakeners is in its infancy; we, the awakeners, are still unraveling the nature of this energy. Our theory posits that our continuously enhanced genes and body have unlocked a hidden mystical power. This surge of internal energy seems to purify and strengthen our cells, readying our body for the upcoming awakening. The gene enhancement potion serves as an artificial catalyst for this process."

The colonel took a brief pause before continuing, "No one can outline the exact path to your awakening; I can only offer advice based on my experience. Most people think of awakening as a mutation following genetic enhancement, but in my view, it's more than just a physical change; it's a spiritual transformation as well.