CHAPTER 50: Trial of Kaplan's Impeachment

Lewis Kaplan|

Five minutes after we landed, another plane that had flown the same course touched base; then another and another, until all four countries of the world including ours were present in the Midlands. A metal and iron made country with blood and fairness for currency, soldiers and cunning minds for citizens. A widow under the administration of a King; she was called the Midlands for a reason. A non-allied Kingdom that served as a separate and mediating power between the rest of us. The first and last time I had visited it is the year my sister had introduced us to her husband - Dylan. An act which inspired our father to fly us here in his dire efforts to encourage a love match between Elly and any of the eligible Royals.

"We appreciate your patience." A team of eight lab coats approached us, "It's a pleasure to finally meet you all in person. My name is Dr. Rashid Duboix. As you might already know. I'm famously considered the world's oldest XY specialist and this is my team of candidate students." He laughed good naturedly and shook hands with his right, the left stretched behind him in a gesture to show and introduce the young and middle-aged faces following his authority.

"Fantastic to finally meet you and your team. The name's Tiger, Mila sends her apologies, she wanted to be here but she's too pregnant at the moment. I'm sure you understand." his hand firmly met the Doctor's, something about his confident stance and voice – even though tired – reminded me of his younger brother. I briefly wondered if Zhavia would be like him in the future.

"Ah, close to the date is she?" The Doctor kept his smile.

"Only three weeks to go." Tiger gestured to the chairs. "Feel free to sit."

"Elaine Mihajlovic," my sister stood to introduce herself once they looked settled. "We've been exchanging research these past few years. I'm the Principal scientist and Kaplan's disowned child. As is him, Lewis Kaplan." she gestured to me with an elegant downturn of her brows. 

Dr. Duboix marveled grimly, as he shifted to sit comfortably in his seat across from Tiger. "I'm shocked Robert would disown a son. How the times have changed. The Kaplans I know would have rather spilt and buried their own blood than left it roaming the streets, with Multis no less. Hmm."

The Multi teenager with us corrected, "It is the current assumption, but he's yet to be officially disowned, if at all."

"If at all. So he is not disowned?" The Doctor eyed Elly and Tiger skeptically. "Whatever he is doing here then?"

"His presence here affects nothing whether or not he's on Robert's side." Tiger placed a confident hand on the man's shoulder and guided him back into a chair, then gestured behind us so Elly's equipment could be wheeled forward by the boy whose name I didn't trust myself to pronounce right. "Thank you for having us, safeguarding our arrival, and most of all for listening all these years. Now, if we shall begin?"

My sister placed a caring hand on my shoulder and squeezed then postured for business.

The team of doctors pulled out their notepads, voice recorders and another began setting up a video camera. "Ready when you are Mrs .Mihajlovic," one of them said.

This was the first time I was learning of my sister's new last name and as a result, it felt as though there was a cruel hand clawing at my heart with long talons meant to serve me with Kaplan heritage karma. The need to pull her on the side for an in depth catch up was immense but hardly practical, especially given the situation on hand. So, I pulled myself together, shoulders back, chin up and watched as the two of them took turns impressing the lead scientist. With talk of their makeshift diagnostic medical equipment that included a state-of-the-art analytic hardware, and cutting-edge radiologic equipment. Apparently, these were good details for the Doctor to hear because as soon as it was mentioned, the man adjusted his spectacles and scrutinized some of the machine features and documents handed to him with a wide grin.