CHAPTER 37: Lunch Date Part 2 of 2

[continued]

The page showed young scientists of varied and, including those of mixed blood. In white lab coats and measuring blood vials behind thick goggles. "...ok, but what?"

"But that's not the whole truth. Take a closer look at their faces."

They were small pictures from different places and different people fit onto the double page. It showed seemingly brave doctors attending to dying patients, scientists in plain lands. Smiling at the cameras with injection vials between their gloved hands and what looked like world leaders on summits. I took a closer look and saw that the faces that had been in coats in the previous pictures were also on these current pages.

"Which brings me to why I said no too. No, because they lied. At the height of feminism – women realized they didn't need men to have lives. They made choices to follow their dreams, climbed the ladders in blue and white collared industries. The patriarchy died a slow painful death but all of that progress left a mark– birth rates decreased. And when births were recorded, mixed blooded kids were far surpassing those with..."

"Full blood!" I exclaimed.

"Yes" he smiled. "This was also the height of race pride where people embraced their different cultures and stopped disrespecting cultures they failed to understand. Likewise, with gender and sexual preferences

"I know what you're going to say next, I could read that between the lines, but I don't know if I can't reconcile the facts or it's because there's a part of me that doesn't want to acknowledge the hypocrisy."

He smiled, "Say you don't want to acknowledge the hypocrisy, any idea why?"

"Because it would make me fearful of the future. Knowing that since the beginning of time, humanity has always fed on fear of what's different. I mean isn't it all the same? Time and time again! Look at this case with this piece of history." I pointed at the relevant statistical graphs in the book.

"Birth rates lowered. Significantly! for full bloods. I read in another book about the primitive instinct in us to protect what's ours. So, I can imagine how people back then must have thought. I don't imagine their initial policies came from a place of hate either." I said, getting passionate and analytical.

"I agree with you, they just wanted to preserve the culture that was dialed in their DNA. Undiluted in culture, language, religion and beliefs. But it's not like they could come out and say that to the world without getting cancelled. Which was large thing during that time.

"Exactly! But wait...it makes me wonder. Why not push for the legalization of abortion instead?" I deflated, less confident in my passion.

"Abortion was legal by then," he said, flicking back to one of the first pages in the book. "Think." He urged.

"I've been trying but I'm pressed with confusion –I get wanting to preserve one's culture and beliefs so bad, but it's not like those regards wouldn't have been carried forward by the mixed kid. If anything, it should have been celebrated because the mixed kid would merge two or more cultures to bridge a gap. Isn't?"

He pushed his hands into his school pants and explained, "You've read the history so I want you to picture this. Say they are two couples. And as individuals all four of them are of different races. Their mixed kids will be similar but different because of the blood pairings, right? Now picture this next. Living spaces, recreational areas and education spaces in this time are diverse so years later the kids meet each other and fall in love. Sounds good?"

I nodded.

"Great now getting into the nitty gritty. Say they are religious or maybe not but can you imagine the confusion which could be faced over which salvation gospel is true?"