CHAPTER 19: A Case Of Mistaken Identity Part 1/2

Chapter 19: A Case Of Mistaken Identity Part One of Two

Lewis Kaplan Age 17|

The road ahead was piled with cars upon cars, with a new lane opened to allow two cars driven by pure bloods to take on with ease at a time. All other cars in the opposite lane were crumped together in long and wide piles of lines in the congestion.

Once in the front one by one the passengers were dragged out forcefully and were subject to have themselves and their cars searched. The rest were pledging the National Pledge waiting their turn.

"Shit!" Tanaka cursed coming to a stop in the two-car lane.

"I know right?" Esly and Grace sang in unison all contempt stripped from their tone.

"What is it?" I asked, sensing that something was about to go very wrong.

"Your dad is personally controlling this?" She nodded to the other lane filled with Keffas and added with a puzzled tone to her voice. "He's the President so why is he doing this himself?"

"He's not?" I defended. My Father was exactly that, the President. He had far more important matters to take care of than to stand over one measly road block for God knows what in this remote area of all places. He'd never had to and besides I knew for a fact that he had other plans for tonight.

He and his associates were planning on invading some quarters downtown in the Keffa Location. Where it was rumoured that Tiger and Friends had set up base. I imagined that he'd found them and probably was near the forest, maybe even in search for me to have me take witness to how he'd handle rebels. To learn from him, for my tenure. "He's not." I repeated.

"Tsk tsk," Grace shook her head, the tight curls on her head bouncing with the motion.

Esly laughed humourlessly, dropping his head on his seat.

I felt judged even by my best friend, he wouldn't look me in the eye as he said. "In the message I told you to get your clothes back?"

"I was going to but I thought you'd be with him, that we'd all be leaving the same way we came. Together."

"They refused to ride with you actually." Esly injected.

"Ez," Grace hissed a warning but it held very little sincerity. "Sorry, your excellency." She apologized but once more her eyes held something that spoke volumes on mockery.

Tanaka still wouldn't face me "Well, the point is you're still in foreign drag, you look the part too..." he looked at me with raised brows, his eyes lingered on my hair then dropped to my neck. Usually I could tell where his thoughts were but at that point, on that night. I could not decipher the words unspoken laying in his raised brows and narrowed eyes.

"Your Dad is controlling this roadblock, it's probably best if you jump out of this car and trail him. If not for us then for Tanaka who's driving and will be as equally brutalized for fraternizing with ..." Grace's eyes trailed my body for measure "you know? Whilst your Dad is still out there." She pointed.

I looked towards the other line again, it was still filled, packed with endless cars each tattered and mudded with dried mud. Ahead of the line, very far from the car in the Keffa lane was my Father. His black stretch limo parked to the side, a thick bullet proof vest worn over his crisp white shirt, shiny black shades glistening in the dark of the night as he drawled on and on. His face was red and angry even from afar I could tell the man was very upset.

"You better go on your own, he'll be lenient on you." Tanaka measured "...and try to cover that." He added running a finger on my neck.

I slapped a palm on my neck and Tanaka looked away, his lips curling into a lopsided smile.

"Yea" one of the twins said "wouldn't want President Kaplan to get upset with us for leading you astray with our wayward ways." We're unapologetic about where our sympathies lie."

It didn't matter which of them said it for I felt the same way about them both. Dislike.

"Say hello to your Mother for me." I bid them farewell regardless.

They gave me the salute but I could tell the gesture was meant to mock me. As I slammed the door shut, I heard the twins sing after me with a wave in their sickly silken voices "Your wish is our command Mr. Kapl..." they were cut off by the windows going up and the car moving forward along the smooth traffic on their side.

Looking back, I skipped over to where the Keffas were. A car door swung open hitting me on my hip bone accidentally. "Sorry kid," a man apologized as he got out. He considered me for a moment then gruffly said, "You know it's not safe to be walking around like that, when those Burris are ouchea?"

Burris?

"Go and stay put, you don't want their attention my guy." Someone from his passenger seat added.

But two things first.

The way he'd said that term made it seem like Pure Bloods were like some form of demons and second, I was who I was. Which meant that I couldn't divulge the truth of my blood to them. "It's ok, I'm parked in the front." I lied, picking up my way to the front in a zig zag pattern so to get to the front where my Father and those that would know me were.

Impact hit my left leg; it was a little girl hugging it. She was of about five or six, sharp green eyes dripping with tears of laughter.

Her laugh was infectious but apparently the woman she was with wasn't having it "Anya! Anya!" she called running after her.

I picked the little girl up even when she was only dressed in pampers, pink plastic made sandals and pigtails. "She yours?" I asked the woman, she looked no more older than what I imagine Elaine to be now.

[To Be Continued]