CHAPTER 21: A Hell Of A Dinner

Chapter 21: A Hell Of A Dinner.

Lewis Kaplan|

That Sunday was a bore, another night spent shadowing my father on his strategic meetings in which senior officers joined us for dinner. The discussions would be about everything regarding the state versus the world all of which held zero interest for me.

As per usual I put on my artificial highly interested face and made every possible effort to seem engaged. Perhaps if I were really interested or allowed to explore the books in my parent's library then I would have been better equipped for these meetings.

Meetings where sons and daughters of a few but very important heads were expected to be stimulating listening posts and learning pots for these officers. Throughout the day I'd been reeling in past memories. I remembered how I'd once followed Elaine to our parent's library and out of boredom was forced to read a dusty old book about forgotten centuries when Royals, Democratic governments and indigenous tribes existed. I learnt of how back then it was considered good business for a father to offer one of his offspring to a selected family.  In the effort to grow wealth, strengthen ties or to secure a good favor.

I also learnt how in some tribes it was considered polite for a husband to offer one of his wives to be enjoyed for a night by a male guest. It was in that same book I learnt that people like me-people attracted to the same sex were actually beheaded or ostracized from communities until the 22nd century. In some lagging continents twins were interpreted as bad omens and were then burned or drowned in sacrifice to their community deities.

The book sickened me and I never tried to touch it again. How innocent I was back then.

"Well my son will be the reigning Head Boy at the Academy next year. His grades are also impeccable, if Grace is having trouble with her Political Science class. I'm sure Lewis here will be happy to exercise his teaching capabilities on you. Right son?" my father asked.

Looking into his eyes was like looking into the eye of the tiger. His trailblazer blue eyes were as clear the answer he wished me to voice out. The twins shared the same brown eyes twinkling with mischief, hoping for a no from me. I contemplated saying no too but Grace's mother, both of them were staring back at me expectantly with entrancing molten brown eyes. And then I couldn't say no.

"That is very noble of you, but I wonder if Grace is open to that?" her mother the ambassador spoke.

Grace held her neck straight and high as heaven as she spoke smiling with glittering white teeth. "Oh you Kaplan men are gentlemen, don't you think so too Esly?"

Esly's yes came as easy as the turn of a hand.

Grace smiled "Thank you. I will take you up on that offer Lewis and in addition to our lessons I look forward to discussing with you the current state of the nation, especially regarding the hyperinflation situation. I'm sure as the heir to the Presidency you have plenty of ideas." She winked so fast I'm sure the adults missed it.

I blinked, dumb founded.

All my ideas were from my father's handbook, the same father I'd seen manage a roadblock where I had been beaten up. Where a girl was made fun of then would have been made to perform sexual favors on men of the law my insides were burned and churned at the memory. One look at my father's eyes and I remembered I'd been sent on a mission to reel in Grace to our side.

"Lewis will appreciate some intellectual banter of that grade with someone his age and caliber." He answered for me and gave me a faint nod even though his forehead was creased with frustration to my slowness.