CHAPTER 7: Caught Running

Lewis Kaplan age 12|

It was late after my parents had sent me off to bed. Elaine had long resigned for her sleep in defiance to them. But for some reason there was a prickling sense within me warning to check on my sister. I didn't want to see her in misery crying. That's all she'd been doing since the failed meeting between us and her Keffa boyfriend. Then with the election announcement in the afternoon.

The Prickling sensation wouldn't stop creeping, and I was far too young to be in peril.

Hastily I climbed off my bed and trudged for her bedroom, I found it odd when I couldn't find any security detail guarding her door. I also found it odd that the red blinking dot on the hallway cameras seemed to be off too. Maybe I should've paid more attention to it but I didn't and it wouldn't matter for I would soon find out why. I stood by her white oak door, ready to knock my fist on it.

Would I find her inside?

Would I find her crying?

Would she shave her hair off again?

These thoughts ran themselves as I stood in front of her door. My fist hovered around in the air, bottom lip between my teeth. Elaine always chastised me for that bad habit but I couldn't control it. Just as I couldn't control the way I barged into her room and found her in the most compromising position. One leg outside her window with a small traveling back on over her lithe shoulder. My lashes fluttered to the beat of my heart.

What was Elaine doing?

Was she trying to ruin us, her family?

Me?

Her pale lips turned with an irritable scowl, bright blue eyes narrowed in the dark and softened when they landed on me. Her voice was shushed low and steady when she said my name with a panicked start. "Lewis."

"You're leaving me?" I could feel the tears rising.

"Not you. I'm leaving them."

"It's the same thing." I reasoned.

She shifted her gaze between the world outside her window and me.  "It's not the same, I love you. But..." she stared at the door and bit her bottom lip. She was just as guilty of that awful bad habit just as I was.

"He's Keffa Elly?" I reminded, I think I felt compelled to remind her nothing could come out of the fairytale romance she had imagined with a Keffa. "Keffa." I repeated.

My sister's shoulders sagged as she sighed and left the window to stand in front of me. "Have you ever snuck out at night?"

"I'm only thirteen Elly."

"Come," she took my hand in hers. "Pick any jacket from my closet and come out with me." She jutted her chin to her wide walk in closet.

"I can't, I'm not like you Elaine. I can't do that to our parents. I won't run away."

"You're thirteen now, aren't you?" she stood on her hip and I found her strange. Gone were her pastel colored dresses and blazers. She had replaced those clothes with a plain V neck white shirt tucked under a pair of tight jeans tucked into a pair of flat to the ground leather boots.

"I'm not asking you to run away with me, I'm going off to marry my fiancé but before I do. I want you to at least meet him even if you don't like him just because he's of mixed blood. We'll make sure you're back home by eight. I promise."

"Elly." I took on an even softer tone. "He's..."

"I'll never leave him if I don't want to. Not even for you baby. I hope you'll never have to go through what I'm going through but..." she dug into her wardrobe and pulled out a Royal Blue suede coat. "Put this on so we can get going, it'll make his day if he sees you even just once."