CHAPTER 14: The Bonfire

Lewis Kaplan Age 17|

When we arrived, the party was in full swing. I want to say I was shocked but I was more anxious at the scene before me. It was filled with familiar faces from school, at a secret bonfire. Held in secret by the Benevolence club every month's first weekend. As Tanaka recited the history and peace agenda of the social mixer, I realized it actually sounded familiar. From Elaine's story of the party where she'd met what I thought was her imaginary boyfriend at the time.

She'd told me that story only once, before I understood the meaning of a mixed person and less than a year later, she'd brought home a Keffa boyfriend, a few years later and she'd ran away with him, never to return. I felt inclined to ask around if any of the Keffas knew Dylan so I could visit her. I just didn't know how to approach any of them.

Last when my parents had tried to force her home, she was living married in the Northside of the outskirts, which is where the location of the bonfire was. I thought of asking Tanaka to ask his friends but I thought better of it. I think if she cared enough, Elly would have sent me a letter or send one of the Keffas I went to school with to say hello. She hadn't bothered with any of it.

"Hey give it back!" I watched a girl chase a boy from the football team. I knew her, not only from school. Her parents had donated to my father's campaign. A party like this is a place I least expected to ever see her or other Pure Bloods. My skin was already crawling, Pure bloods were easily conversing and joking with Keffas from the outskirts like it was nothing. Like it couldn't possibly mean prison and shame for each of them.

Tanaka lifted his brows "You ok?"

I nodded.

"Still wanna Stay?"

I nodded again.

"We're going to hang out with a couple Keffas, Navid from art class is here somewhere. I'll help you find him so that you have someone of full blood to hang out with, while I go find Zandile. I really need her number. Then I'll come back to hang out with you."

I smiled.

Tanaka made a face, his mouth gaping and closing as a compelling noise of heightened chatter filled the summer air as someone yelled "They're here!!"

Our attention was diverted to the open field where three tall figures emerged from the darkness of the parking lot- murmurs of conversation flared up. It seemed the figures were making their way down to where the heart of the bonfire was lit.

The way chatter filled the air and the way everyone's eyes filled with wander made me curious about the three figures. I stared until they came into view.

There was Crocodile who wore his hair in long thick dark shiny dreads, a permanent frown on his face and a deep stare that dared anyone in his line of vision to never question him. A black tattoo ran up and circled his arm, it was my first time seeing it and I suppose if the school found out he would be kicked out. Next to him was Zandile the girl Tanaka was obsessed with. Spirals of her slowly thickening dirty blonde dreadlocks reached her slim waist, drawing attention to a pierced belly button. That shone with a fake dangling jewel, glittering in the dark and further drawing attention to hour petite hourglass figure.

And then there was him.

My heart definitely skipped a beat. His skin was the color of my morning cream laced arrabiatta coffee and with each movement he made, my full attention was easily drawn to his energy. The way he walked, surveying what was around him, no amount of alcohol could ever intoxicate me the way watching his movements did to me. He spat at the ground and buried the spit with dust kicked from his leather strapped boot.