CHAPTER 29: Back At The Bonfire

Lewis Kaplan Age 18|

We had been friends for years so it was no surprise that Tanaka knew my birthday would be forgotten. And even though I hadn't reached back to him in weeks, he sent me a present and offered me a sleepover at his house that Friday but I lied. I exaggerated how my parents wouldn't let me out of their sight until the weekend, so I'd suggested Saturday for us to hang out together at night.

And he'd believed me because the media had been told to write articles on how the first lady and the first son were visiting hospitals and food banks. I lied because I knew he had plans to hang out at the bonfire, I also knew it probable he would get too busy for me there, but this time I didn't care. Zhavia had asked me to be there, and I was going to go there with no disguise one way or the other.

Thankfully Tanaka agreed to go with me, this time it was just the two of us in his car and he was hell bent on sparking conversation with me. But I was just unsettled by the events that had happened after we'd hung out recently so I avoided talking about 'how I've been.'

Once at the bonfire people would come from all angles trying to hang out with him but he'd turned them all down to focus on our friendship but I needed to be alone. In order to look approachable to Zhavia so when the disgraceful but beautiful twins showed up, I made it a point to make them stick around. With the goal to leave the three of them alone.

"Who's the girl?" Tanaka voiced his curiosity to the twins.

"Where?" Grace asked. A legit question considering the open land was littered with a lot of girls. All types of girls, biological or not, mixed and full blooded.

"There, with Crocodile and Zhavia." He nodded his chin in said direction.

The girl's hair was piled on top of her head in a classy updo with loose curls running down her long slim neck. She wore an off shoulder burgundy minidress. Revealing smooth tanned skin, that ran down her spider long legs. Covered by a flat pair of similarly coloured and worn out ankle boots.

"The one talking to Zhavia?" Esly asked.

I tried not to but it was hard not to look at him, admiring his sharp features that were being highlighted by the bonfire. His hair was up in a disarray bun that secured his soft looking curls, he wore a loose fitting black shirt that covered his tattoo. And the dark pair of knee ripped jeans he was wearing hugged his hips and thighs just right. His hand flew up to his neck as if longing for something on it. I looked away clutching the pair of black dog tags in my pockets.

"Yes." Tanaka replied.

"How would any of us know? She's facing the other way. But." Esly placed an encouraging palm between Tanaka's shoulder blades. "You can try this thing called introducing yourself. You wouldn't believe this but all the cool kids do it, Mafia."

Grace snickered, "HA! Fifty coins he won't, Tanaka is saving himself for Zandile, who doesn't even know he exists." Her tone and mischievous gaze were challenging.

When tipsy, Tanaka wouldn't bow down to any challenge. It's why he was infamous amongst the popular groups.

I watched him snap into action; a pair of killer dimples on display, a gulp of water spat at the ground and a swish of breath spray. In no time at all he was good to take on the challenge and prove Grace wrong. "Moving on is a form of self love. Watch me do it." He flashed a smile and his cheeks dimpled beyond cute.

I fought an eye roll, the twins made noise. Grace cried about fairness, cheating, rigging and what not. Whilst Esly was cooing and bragging about how he never loses bets.