CHAPTER 43: Uproar

CHAPTER 43: Uproar.

Lewis Kaplan|

My head was slammed onto the van's side starting me to awake. I hadn't even realized I'd been sleeping but I was and when I woke up my stomach felt worse with a dry need to hurl. Because the image of Elly's family picture and the deeds of my parents haunted me, even in REM.

The movement of the truck wasn't helping and Crocodile still being the driver didn't seem to care. In fact, when he saw that I was awake he drove over bumps and humps with a smile. The motion eventually caused me to lurch forward and hit the front glass. A sound of panic and pain left my throat, rubbing at the point in which I had the most hurt on my forehead I fell back into my seat.

Crocodile laughed at me. "My apologies your excellency, I would bow to show my deep regret for this awful driving if I could."

One of the boys behind him laughed, "Please consider it done in spirit your excellency."

Crocky laughed with him, "Well they do say it's the thought that counts, Isn't that right Kaplan?"

He said Kaplan and all that swam through my mind were my parents faces and all they had done with their Presidency to the West and to Elly and her husband. How is it they carried so much hate in them to kill a baby? One of their own? I closed my eyes, breathing in through my nose, trying to think of something else. Less crushing.

I thought of Zhavia, usually thoughts of him calmed me, but not then. When I thought of him, I worried about where he was and what he was doing.  If he would come out alive.

When I opened my eyes, I focused on Crocodile who had been too quiet now. His emerald green eyes met mine, his mouth formed into a cruel twist as he let the truck come to a slow stop. He cut the engine and I heard a door slam, then footsteps on gravel coming closer to the van. "Remember when I told you should be afraid of me? This is where I'll do it."

He gestured to the building outside the car.

Just then the door to my side was opened, hands grabbed me yanking me out by the lapels of my suit jacket. Said hands belonged to a guy who looked three years older than me – give or take. He was good looking and he smelled nice too. "So, you're the first son huh?" he said, studying me from head to toe.

"I'm Lewis." I said, diplomatically.

"Oh, I know who you are Lewis Kaplan." He stated setting my collar free, then ran the back of his fingers over my face. Outlining my profile slowly with delectable interest. "I've never touched skin this soft." He said driving his gaze away from my face to meet my eyes.

I blinked keeping my mouth shut.

Crocky rounded the car coming up to stand beside me. "Gunpowder meet his excellency. Your excellency meet Gunpowder, he's Zhavia's first love."

The guy, Gunpowder – rose his eyebrows giving Crocodile a look but didn't say anything besides. "So, what's he doing here. Refugee or captive?"

"Dead man walking." Crocodile smiled at me again. "I brought him here to kill him." He said.

Gunpowder smiled then turned to me, "You gon' let him kill you? Just like that?" he asked, his fingers touching at the ends of my hair.

I kept my mouth shut, my face neutral and my poise intact.

Gunpowder dropped his hands and spoke again, "So I guess now is a good time as any to ask for your hair? I have space on two Burri market segments that will pay real good money for soft, luscious traces like yours."