CHAPTER 38: Break Out Part 1 of 2

Lewis Kaplan 18|

Like glue I was stuck on the bench, a pen and a paper on my lap, observing eyes on Zhavia during home time. The make out session and conversation from earlier was still potent enough on my senses. To make me feel dizzy with desperate affection for him and a pleading need for him to relay to his brother what the government was planning to do.

He was huddled with his friends in their usual corner. This time a bevy of upperclassmen girls was flirting with all three of them. The girls talked too animatedly, giggled loudly and played with their hair far too much for it to be cute anymore. But he wasn't starving them the attention.

I rolled my eyes and lowered my eyes to my phone screen, pondering over my reflection in the glass. Empty blue eyes stared back at me, a crease of envy was settled on my forehead and an ache of inadequacy burrowed into my chest. It had been only two hours since we'd left the small classroom after lunch. I'd spent all my time apart from him mulling over the time we'd spent together with joy and assured hope.

But there he was, unbothered, unmoved.... he just was.

I wiped away the frown on my forehead and grabbed my items, climbing down the bleachers so I would wait for Ronald on another set of benches. I made sure to make a wide arc around them so I wouldn't be seen by any of them or bump and trip on myself.

I was so concentrated on my feet that I failed to notice the figure in my path on time. My reflexes came late; I easily panicked and bumped into a broad shoulder. Not only that but my eyes widened, I had fallen on top of his best friend. Head buried in the crook of Crocodile's neck, one of my legs between his and vice versa.

He grunted in annoyance with closed eyes.

"Sorry," I apologized, the sound of fear very clear in the way I was trying to lift off of him but his hard grip slowed me down. He he took to lifting off of me first as though I was the scum at the bottom of his shoes.

"Don't touch me," he snapped when I tried to help him up. "fucken filth."

Then after a few seconds we were both on our two feet, I searched the parking lot and found that no one else was in it. I wanted to ask where Zhavia and Zandile had gone off to but the way his gaze was scrutinizing me shut me up even before I said a word.

"Are you ok?" I asked as my gaze roamed the rest of him. "I'm so sorry."

There was blood staining his school slacks at the part were pockets were sewn. "You're bleeding." I pointed for him to see, then I was panicking as I moved urgently with intend to help lessen the bleeding.

He wasn't appreciative of my help nor concerned with the injure though, "I said don't touch me Burri."

The term off his tongue was meant to start a fight with me. There was also crystal-clear hate in the way the word rolled off his tongue.

"I'm trying to help you, you're bleeding."

"I know, it's my pocket knife. Next time watch where you're going Kaplan."

I breathed as he had a point. My eyes flickered to the blood. "I'll help you get to the nurse's office." I offered knowing that he wouldn't agree. But also, aware that as a mixed blood he wouldn't be turned away from help if he showed up with me.

School rules were that once school hours were over no mixed blood was attended to.

National rules weren't any better only mixed people that worked for the government could seek help in the clinics and hospitals, but even then. They were made to queue and were attended to last after Full Bloods.