CHAPTER 13: Party Crusher

Lewis Kaplan 17|

There was no better word than crazy to describe Tanaka. He was my best friend but nothing like me. Where I was strong in humanity studies, he was stronger in Sciences, so our academic departments were far apart in school. Thereby we didn't always hang out over the course of our high school career.

Where I had been strongly urged by my father to join and become President of the World Trade club. My father pushed for the club because it allowed me to maintain a platform over my peers for my future political career. On the other hand, Tanaka's father didn't care what he did with his extracurricular school activities.

So my best friend campaigned to become treasurer for the Benevolence club, out of simple, childlike passions. Getting the position meant he could always be freely into the outskirts, deep in the wide plain areas inhabited by Keffas. Thus, our social circles were different. As in he had plenty other friends outside of me, of all blood types.... even a few Keffas he'd steal conversations with in the dark corners of our school corridors. Much to my horror and the other prefects dismay.

Also, his longtime crush was loudly Keffa, so was mine. Which settles me to our other difference, he actively pursued her, whilst I knew nothing would come out of mine so I keep within my perimeters.

Tanaka and his sister were my only friends and their daring openness and stubborn streak made them hard to relate to sometimes. But regardless I maintained efforts in keeping their friendship. Even when it sometimes felt one ended and even after my parents had collectively banned me from being friends with the Cheng twins. After their parents had publicly come out as Keffa sympathizers.

Their family was instantly shunned from mine's cocktail parties. Then one time not long after I overheard Tanaka brag to a Keffa classmate, he was befriending that his parents had actually demanded they not be invited at hate filled events.

It stung to hear.

Our social gatherings were anything but hate filled.

However, I felt compelled to keep my opinions to myself. Perhaps that's why our dynamic had not been utterly shattered amidst all that acrimony from our parents. We had remained best friends granted we didn't talk about our Nations stance and policies on blood tribes.

I parked my car in my usual spot - behind the tall thick trees in his spacious driveway and slid out to wait for him in the direct cool air of Autumn. Two figures emerged from the darkness to reveal strangers, one of ambiguous blood and the other was Pure.

"Does your daddy know you're here?" One of them asked making his way closer to my car.

"Then you know who I am." I stated making the exaggerated gesture of sliding my phone out of the pocket of my pant suit. They were without doubt Tanaka's friends and like many of them they were quick to act confrontational with me, because they thought they were above me for their skewed views on social sciences and politics.

"Hold on, let me just call my dad's office, have your name on the blacklist for hanging out with a Keffa." I threatened placing the cold phone against my ear. Keffas were not permitted this side of the town and especially around a Pure blood. If my call went through he could get slapped with a fine, the Keffa would get non negotiable time behind bars.

The phone was snatched from behind "Chill, they're my friends and besides...Enock's family is already on your parents' blacklist. I met him at one of my 'rent's galas last week. He proper." Tanaka smirked and jutted his chin once.

"Oh." I said, perplexed on why he would have me over when he knew he had the company of a Keffa and an Ally. They all started to exchange gadgets and then that's when I appraised them all. They were dressed up in casually high fashion clothes, smelling like fresh showers and cologne as if they had someplace to be.