CHAPTER 15: Before The Hook Up

Lewis Kaplan Age 17|

As I'd learnt in the past half hour of observing him at the bonfire, so careful the type he seemed, so careless the single life he led. I watched him welcome every girl that sashayed to him with flirtatious grins and intimate conversations. I ached inside watching him be the center of attraction for different genders that weathered on him with attention and transparent interest that sometimes bordered on vulgarity.

To receive friendship from him let alone romantic affection was impossible, especially after the new information I'd learnt.

I watched him with the new girl from school, one of the twins. Her name was Grace and her features were full of it. She came from a type of Pure Blood my mother called Aboriginal. That meant that her blood was a virgin wash, it had never been tainted throughout her family's history. She wasn't just black but the red in her veins could very easily be traced back to her family's roots. From a time when continents still existed and they hailed from a part of Western Africa. That was rumored to have been the first to wipe out after the XY virus hit.

They were stood in the shadows of a near flaming fire, and I became jealous of both the fire and Grace. In a way where I wondered internally 'Why couldn't it be me standing that close to him or warming up his skin like that.'

The fire was brilliant, steeped in azure, a refreshing breeze swept by through the wind making his curls dance around his head. Grace laughed and used her fine gold jewelry dressed fingers to run through his hair. Trying to tame his thick, dark exotic curls that were now beginning to coil into locks yet couldn't be. She smiled at him, lifted on her toes and lay a delicate kiss on his lips.

He didn't return the gesture and even though I felt selfishly relieved, the envy swirling in my emotions hadn't been decapitated. I had no place to feel so strongly about him, all I had on him was a biting unrequited strong crush. I didn't even talk to him.

In the school hallways, I would hide from him, so he would not have to service me with the respect given to a prefect. Especially in his lessor position as Keffa and older by a year. It felt humiliating for him. Nonetheless envy kept growing thick with every second she would sweep those feminine fingers over his chest, laughing. Soon they got all serious talking without the laughing but the flirty undertones remained. Her fingers kept brushing up against his chest, that was left open with three undone buttons.

He had on a pair of black dog tags hanging off his neck, she pulled him close to her by them. Lifted on her toes again and this time she lustfully went for his lips with hers. It was time to look away.

Hurt and angry with myself for feeling like so, I strode to where the beer was, grabbed two. Failing to control myself, I fixed my gaze back to the bonfire expecting to find them making out or something close to intimacy. Instead my curiosity was peaked when I found him alone. Our eyes locked accidentally for a second, he took a double take at me; the second time lasted longer for quiet a short but intense time. I gasped when he looked away, my heart erratic at the thought of the lust I'd seen in his eyes.

It was there alright, I swear his eyes gave away his mild attraction for me.

With a cup of water on my lips my eyes searched for the new girl. I found her speaking to her identical twin brother, who was standing with Talita. When she pulled away from his ear, the look on her face was not good. She was clearly etched with mortification, no second later her brother wore a frown of second hand embarrassment before he pulled her into a hug.

It made me think her advances had been met with rejection.

Would anyone think me selfish how glad this made me feel?