CHAPTER 38: Break Out 2 of 2

[continued]

Two hours after I got home, I found myself staring a very large billboard placed just outside my mother's home office. It overshadowed the garden of hydrangeas she always liked to look at. I stared at the large and vibrant thing that showed a picture of ill stricken people at the height of the XY illness.

I couldn't believe this was the campaign she was going to present to the world summit leaders. In her misguided efforts to punish all mixed bloods for the house break in. I also couldn't believe she wanted me to be present for it.

"Mom, you can't let this be your campaign. Whether we like it or not our Elly is married to one of them, their kid is one of them too. Aren't you worried how...?"

"Look at outfit number four on my left." She cut me off, not to address my worry but to scrutinize the outfit display from her various fitting models. "Her neck looks odd, mine doesn't look like that does it?" she asked touching at the length of her neckline.

"No ma'am." I said already knowing that it wouldn't be hours later until I would get my response from her.

She'd just lost weight for the campaign and so because of the changes of her measurements her fitness models had also changed. She'd never liked to use mannequins or personally trying on clothes to determine what would look nice on her. For years mom would replicate the scene she knew she'd be photographed in.

All sorts of designers and artists would create the atmosphere and stages to mimic the ones she'd be scheduled to stand under. Her stylists would stich up models with her measurements in suits and gowns. Then once they were all satisfied with the outcome, they would reconfirm the events and take on the responsibility.

"Actually, it's just like yours right now," her closest head stylist stood on his hip and lowered his reading glasses to face her. "You lost too much weight first lady, so if you don't wish for the collarbones to show then I suggest looking at fitting model eight and ten."

Mom squinted down at the models, then looked at me strangely. "What do you say Lewis?"

I quickly contorted my distressed face, looked away from the billboard and smiled my most charming smile. "I say...I think I should leave all of you to decide for yourselves, I'll go help Father draft his speech or something." Then I walked out the door, closing out on the conversation that carried on after me.

Father was in his home office, in the midst of the Blue roof surrounded by so many open paged books from all periods of time. "I can't find the history book compiled by the three generation voices anywhere. A server said they saw you enter my private library last week; did you take it?"

I made an unintelligent sound because I wanted to tell him that, 'Yes, I'd taken it and many other books from that private library.' But I thought better on it and knew he wouldn't allow me out of his sight if I confessed. So instead the word. "No." left my mouth.

Father groaned, "Those keffas didn't touch any money, food or diamonds in here. I bet they stole those notes on history because I can't find them anywhere!" he slammed a heavy book on the table.

I watched him fall back into his seat, angrily shut his eyes and groaned some more. "Those Keffas are absolute filth. You give them an inch they demand for the mile." He chuckled humourlessly, loosened his tie and fired a question to one of the guards standing by the walls. "I'm the kindest Kaplan President in all history, aren't I?"

"Yes, your excellency," the guard replied with a respectful bow.

Father nodded his head agreeing with the guard. "See? I'm kind but those filthy animals can't even see it. When my Father was President, he never did anything for them yet I came up and put them in school. Allowing them to be amongst our kind ergo risking our kind. And I get called names for that?" he scoffed, loosening his tie.