CHAPTER 8: A Hand To Hold

Lewis Kaplan age12|

After Zhavia begrudgingly allowed himself to be slipped into the car, I'd said hello. All I received was a grunt followed by the walls of distrust he erected up against me. He appeared magnificently precise to avoid brushing my skin. He was also thorough in avoiding any eye contact I wished to get from him.

At the root of it, of course, I was disappointed to see in him one of the many traits school teachers hated in people of his blood; he was just so Keffa, disrespectful even to the first son. Each time he almost met my eye he'd look away and quick too, in addition, his face contorted with an angry scowl. That if it wasn't for the red, swollen eyes he'd brought with him into the car I'd assume was reserved exclusively for me.

Although I do believe part of the credit was owed to me. I don't think he liked me, that notion made my chest ache.

Outside the older Keffas were arguing amongst themselves, my sister was in the middle of it silently biting on her nails. I imagined mother swatting her hand away from her mouth. Even in my imagination I felt out of place for beside me Zhavia kept drumming fingers on his knees. "Is that your brother?" I asked him, referring to the lean tall guy with a set of sleepy brown eyes that were now aflame with anger, in a quarrel.

He scoffed but didn't answer as he fidgeted to lean his head on the window.

"My name is Lewis." I tried, "Lewis Kaplan."

"How low do you want me to bow your excellency or perhaps you want me out of this car," finally he relented facing me, finally giving me the attention I'd been itching for. But the devil was dancing on his pink tongue and that sent a chill down my spine. "...Wouldn't want you to catch the XY virus now do we? Oh! pardon me, I mean the Keffa virus." His disposition was rough, his tone wasn't any better. It filled his consonants with mockery and it made me feel worse and humiliated.

I felt heat rise to my cheeks, I was angry and defeated. I just wanted him to like me. "I was just trying to talk to you." I felt so broken down, something in me audibly broke from the confines of my heart.

He rose a single brow at me before he looked away from me altogether and served me with silence.

A while later as sleep was beginning to invade me, and the arguing outside was dying out, I heard him speak. "I didn't mean to be rude. I'm Zhavia."

"I know." I smiled, despite the fear beating in my chest.

His eyes were now dry and they looked bulged with a slight shock that could've gone unseen hadn't I been paying close attention. The fact that I noticed it made me want to smile more, I couldn't help the reaction.

"Your sister is running away from you..." he started.

"She's not running away from me!" I snapped defensively. "She's not!"

"I didn't mean you, you. I meant you as in your family." he sounded apologetic.

"Yes, but not me. She loves me." I looked away from him utterly embarrassed by how heavy with welling tears my eyes were. "She's not running away from me." I tried to help it but I sniffled once, then twice and before I knew it the reality of what Elly was about to do set in. Destroying any hope I had, she really was leaving. And if she left then I would it would be years until I would see her again.

I felt fingers softly and trepidaciously grasp my hand. "I didn't mean it like that." his eyes looked sorry and wary as he leaned into me. The same way my father and his associates approached their wounded prey. When hunting in the plains of the deep south. I let him lean into me and he thumbed away tears streaming down my face.

Despite the masculine features of his face, there was a serene softness to it that sent blood rushing in my veins. I looked away from his amber gaze afraid of drowning in its beauty, afraid not only of him seeing my imperfections but him writing me off based on them. My hand had remained in his though; his hands felt rougher than mine but they were warm and his touch sent a warm sensation through my veins.

I was too young to recognize the forming of a  cruel crush but in that moment, I knew there was something dangerous to fear. Yet, I leaned into his touch. Which he retracted from by pulling his hand out from under mine. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to touch you." he said.

I locked eyes with him. "It's ok."

"It's illegal." he stated looking away and half heartedly running a shaky hand through his hair. As his gaze found his brother outside.

"It's not." I was right.

"Would his excellency agree with that?"

I lowered my eyes, "I said it's ok with me," then I braved myself to meet his gaze from under my lashes. "I don't mind it."

"Statutory Instrument ninety three point eight, will not care. It doesn't support that."

I had slept through most of my classes on Statutory Instruments so I didn't know much about those laws. But even then I was surprised he knew anything about them at all. Keffas were supposed to be genetically dense. That was part of the reason why the government found it to be a waste of resources to have them in school. Or in fiscal productivity industries. I understood that perfectly.

Elly though; I'd watched her start arguments at the dinner table with our parents over such legislations. So I knew better than to argue with him on it. I chose a safer route with him instead and said. "My sister is marrying a..." I wanted to say Keffa. But I ended up clearing my throat and finishing, "she's marrying a mixed blood. I think you and I could be friends; we go to the same school you know?"

He looked at me, just looked at me for a while without saying anything at first, then finally he opened his mouth. "Ok. We'll be friends for just today but once we're out there again we have to act like strangers ok?"

I lifted my hand up for a pinky promise, which he took and watched as I took it upon myself to solely kiss each of our thumbs to seal the promise. After I was done, Zhavia, surprised me by laughing.

It would be the first time I'd hear him laugh and it would be the first time he would entrance me. In watching him throw his head back, soft looking coils of dark hair falling back over his shoulders and biting on his dry pale pink lower lip to muffle a laugh. That action, that simple little action excited me, I ended up laughing with him even though I might have been laughing at myself.

There was a knock on the tinted window.

"We're going?" Zhavia asked, hope lacing his tone and features.

His brother crouched low and reached to ruffle the rough curls on his hair "No Josiah will take you back home soldier."

Zhavia's voice sounded tormented, "I told you I want to be where you are."

"Do you know who you're sitting next to?."

"Yes."

"Then you know it's not safe to talk," the tall guy said.

"No, no Tiger please, I'm not leaving without you!" he pleaded desperately.

His brother stretched to his full height and reached into his pockets for a pen and a paper then started to quickly scribble something into a note.

"No! I refuse to go back home without you." he protested.

"Josiah! Over here."

"No! I'm not going anywhere without you Tiger. Look I turned thirteen ok, I'm old enough to join the camp with you. I'm coming with you."

The side of the car door on my end was opened to reveal Elly "Let's go." she said to me.

I abided placing my hand in hers. As she explained she would only be sneaking me into the house for she was still going to elope and run away from the home.

VOTE|COMMENT|REACT|FOLLOW|SHARE