CHAPTER 42: Guerrilla Warfare

Lewis Kaplan|

The hand against my mouth was warm, sweaty and tasted like thick poisonous smoke. For a second, I thought I was going to die but I didn't. Turns out the hand was just dirty and belonged to my sister. "Shh," she repeated placing a finger over her lips and turning. Gesturing with a head nod over her shoulder for me to follow after her soft sprint.

My mind turned a reel and my heart fell into a goo.

Every piece of my being wanted to throw myself in her arms. But the manner in which she led me was serious, even graver was the situation surrounding us. Thick smoke continued to multiply in the air the cries were sharper, louder and the officers were merciless.

I wanted to hug her, show more emotion of finally being excited to see her but I had no choice. I had to follow her stern lead. We sprinted away from officers just like many other people in the crowd. Managing to dodge rubber bullets and sjamboks as we darted through the hysterical crowd. Until we reached a black plateless van. She stuttered to a stop in front of it, pivoted and whistled, rhythmically twice as if in code. A young boy whose face was framed by coloured lime green dreads approached her with a bruised face and handed her a set of keys. "Zhavia says to go without him." He said.

"Thanks, tell him to come at Trafalgar after." She told him and the boy nodded, running back into the crowd.

My sister ducked and climbed in the car, I imitated her form, followed and watched as she started the car. She stole a side glance towards me, I took no hiding to show that I was facing her. She quickly looked away and bit on the bruised part of her bruised bottom lip in frustrated thought. In seconds we were speeding on the road, behind other trucks filled with injured people. We drove in silence; she kept stealing sideways glances at me probably feeling the distance I was feeling with her. It seemed she was both a stranger to me now, yet still so familiar as she was to me when I was six and she called me her prince. I didn't know what to make of it, and I think she didn't either.

"F!ck" my sister cursed, bending her back to hunch her shoulders. Eyes fixed on the plain dusty road-coming to slow down the truck.

Rapid movement in the rear view caught my attention, there was a sleek, shiny black Mercedes zooming behind us. I couldn't see who was inside through its dark tinted windows but I could read the government plates easily. "We have a tail." I told Elaine.

She threw me a heavy brick phone with an ariel and said, "Dial four for Zhavia," then she increased the speed with purpose.

Within seconds the huge black chrome of the Mercedes filled the rear view mirror. Elaine sped up faster to lose the tail. I kept dialing the number but no one was picking it up. "He's not answering it." I said, panicked. "Can I do something else to actively help?"

"Yea. Tighten your seatbelt and close your eyes." She said.

Within a short space of a minute after my belt tightened, I heard tires squealing and swerving around us. Something she did in her driving rocked a heavy current of air that came in through the window. The panic grew to something else when I saw and heard metal grate against metal. Grinding breaks gave out and shattered glass fell against me after a shot fired from the government vehicle.

A scream involuntarily tore through my dry throat.

"Get down!" Elly said, in a loud but controlled voice.

Then she hit the car again, smashing it in the face and making sure it fell into a side ditch. The doors to it opened showing that no one was inside it. It was a self driving automated automobile built for the military. That only took instruction from lawmen. Which meant that it had been sent to track specific moving vehicles and configured to shoot on sight.