CHAPTER 19:A Case Of Mistaken Identity Part 2/2

[continued]

"Yes, she's my daughter." She picked the girl back in her arms. Her eyes were bloodshot and damp. "Her father is gonna kill me, he doesn't like us crossing paths with Burris especially ones in uniform." She lifted her brow to me; something in her expression saying I was supposed to just understand what she meant so I nodded.

And like most of my mother's friends she continued speaking, lamenting out loud. "But there's no food at home, the price of rice is unbearable were you just in town? Did you see? there's a serious shortage of fish and beans. So of course, I had to go buy the bread otherwise we were going to starve to death."

Walking with her side by side in a zig zag line toward the front of the line I spoke, only to not seem rude. "Sorry to hear that, at least you got the bread."

She laughed but it was tense "I didn't, we were in a line for it for hours only to find out it had gone up in price again. It's the third time this week too you know?"

"Oh," I said, I didn't buy anything at the house so I knew nothing about supplies of groceries. All I knew was that the price for our country's favourite comfort meal – a burger and fries – had gone up a ridiculous amount.

From the corner of my eye I saw a man of the law in uniform, for a moment I thought of approaching him for a quicker way to the front but his strong gaze was strongly fixed on the young mother beside me. Slowly and deliberately he paced outside the lane where cars were parked following us with his eyes. Afraid he would see beneath my Keffa mask I pulled the dark hood of the jacket over my face.

However, the action seemingly propelled him to look at me.

His strides grew longer and harder as he marched toward us all the while his eyes shifting between me and her. The girl's mother shivered and pressed her body closer to mine just as the policeman arrived. "Just go with it." She whispered.

"What?" I whispered back.

She looked at the patch sewn on the jacket I had on and said "You're a gaffa right? Help me please." She said and before I could reply the man approached.

"Don't you know the rules of a roadblock sweetcakes?" he drawled, his voice carrying all the undercurrents of a threating flirt. And that time I shivered when I saw the way his disgustingly lustful gaze shamelessly flicked all over her body resting on her ample chest. "ID card now." He opened his palm.

She moved the baby from her hip and rested her head over her chest for cover muttering. "Sorry Sir, my little girl got confused so I had to run after her. My ID is in the car but I'm sixteen and I have a valid pass for driving into town."

She didn't look sixteen, but on a closer take you could see the youth in her face, her chubby cheeks especially even though her eyes looked old and tired.

"Sixteen huh? where's the Father?" he asked. Something about the way he lowered his voice caused the hairs on the back of my neck to stand. I looked around hoping someone older would react, the space was so cramped anyone close by was privy to the conversation. But sadly, none of the Keffas was coming to her aid. And as the gaffa she thought I was I wasn't sure how she wanted me to aid her.

To my horror and much to my absolute confusion she pointed to me "He is. This is my husband sorry Sir. We'll go in formation as soon as we reach our vehicle." Then she bowed and I bowed too suddenly remembering Keffas were legally required to show respect to pure bloods.

He laughed a dark, molten laugh and gestured to me with his baton stick. "Him?" he hummed turning his head and gesturing with his eyes for back up from two other officers close by "you're both kids, sixteen? and you're already fucking?"