CHAPTER 1: Where Elly was lost.

CHAPTER 1: AGES 6&7

Lewis Kaplan age 6|

The look on my father's face wasn't a look I had ever seen him wear before and on that night I remember pledging to myself almost as hard as I swore into the the National pledge that I would never make him look at me like that.

Like how he was looking at my older sister; Elaine.

My father's full thick brows were knitted together tightly, his eyes glazed icily with fierce hot anger, his entire face was in a mean scowl. Threatening like ruinous sin as he chased Elaine's boyfriend out of our house, with his equally ugly and furious tongue. His voice boomed with an insane amount of disappointment, anger, and disgust directed at the undaunted couple.

I didn't completely understand much of our world's economic, political or social climate but I knew that I didn't blame him. After all, Elaine had disrespected our father, along with our forefathers when she brought in her abomination of a boyfriend into our home.

His skin was a smooth caramel that neither paled too white nor tan too red. His hair was tightly coiled in rough ringlets of long and rough raven hair. His clothes looked clean and new - a formal and pristine look that sat on him oddly - as though he'd dressed himself to impress us. It made me pity him, even more so when he spoke. His accent was thick with an uncultivated dialect around his consonants.

Elaine knew better than to fraternize with his kind.

As the President's daughter we all knew Elaine knew better than to break the constitutional law.

I don't remember much of the night; many of the angry words yelled back and forth between my shamed parents versus my rebellious teenaged sister. But I remember this; later in the evening I had followed Elaine to her bedroom. Needing her to read me a bed time story as per usual. I expected to find her book in hand ready to read to me instead I found her curled in a fetal position. Streaks of thick mascara running down her eyes, chunks of her blonde hair dramatically scattered all over the floor. She had given herself a full head shave and she looked so strange it had me gasping. My heart thrummed against my chest.

"Elly are you ok?" I worried.

She lifted me to sleep beside her, sniffed my hair like she always did. "I should be. I'm in love, precious." she replied wistfully.

"With the Keffa boy?" I chortled with surprise, anyone would've been.

Elaine flipped me around with urgency, got off the bed and knelt before me my chin between her delicate cold fingers. "Listen to me. You can't use that word; it's rude, it's wrong and it's demeaning. It's just...wrong Lewis. I don't care what father says or what your teacher says, don't ever use that word. It's not right and it will never be right precious." her voice broke with raw emotion and her hand was trembling under my chin with what I now understand to have been a desperate need to educate me.

"But that's what he is Elly; your boyfriend is a Keffa." I repeated what I knew, his tone, his hair and even his thick dispersedly placed accent made it very easy to see and thereby place in a box. Her beloved boyfriend was of varied blood, therefore a Keffa. An abomination of nature, a culture less worshipper of the moon and trees. Facts didn't lie and facts didn't care about emotions, not even those of a President's daughter.