CHAPTER 47: Fresh Peaches & Cream

Chapter 47: Fresh Peaches & Cream.

Zhavia Yorush Age 18|

Lewis Kaplan had a spot free, smooth complexion of fresh peaches and cream. Alluring soft blue eyes with a calm innocence that wasn't too docile nor performed. A beautiful kind heart willing to learn and eager to love... to love me. "Zhavia" he called my name in a low tone and my eyes followed the direction to his trout pout lips.

I found myself wanting to steal a taste before we left. I had already tasted them but with each taste my pull to him grew stronger and I found myself not getting enough of kissing Lewis. I wanted to kiss him all the time.

When we were in bed kissing him came with a sizzle and a sharp jolt of desire. Kissing him out of bed was even better because it made me focus on the essence of him. Just him and the serene way we would both melt into each other like the autumn air that circles around fated orchards. Where forbidden lovers always seemed to meet in age old movies I'd acquired from the black market. Kissing him in between our assumed duties felt chaste but very satisfying with dry pecks littered on cheeks, foreheads and the top of of his head, whenever we could steal a second to ourselves.

"Zhavia," he whispered my name again, like a shiny holy ten coin left for the hopeless in the middle of the road.

"Mhm." My eyes drew back to his eyes; a set of calming and distraught blues that spoke to me. It seemed he had the same thing on his mind. That time we were out of bed, under the spotlight of a late afternoon sun where the sky was a mass of blue tinged with oranges and pinks. We had kissed, in front of everyone despite the discomfort we could cause those that had I knew to disagree on idea of someone of my blood taking a liking in someone of his blood.

The history between our blood-types was still lead strong and fresh. People hadn't marched for the right to love, that's not why people had died, it's not why an outrage had even been erupted from our allied powers. At that point one could strongly argue that fighting for love was a luxuries need for people of my blood. My blood people meant well, sure the need to stop the law from killings us for looking at Full-bloods with romantic interest was there. But at the forefront of that we had other really important needs that made protests for love seem trivial. We wanted to be treated like actual citizens of the West, we wanted the opportunity to attend school and earn jobs fair and square. We wanted to use the currency of our country just as Full Bloods did, we wanted to be given medical attention justly...we needed the existing Constitution to be revised.

I understood what we were fighting for and I didn't want anyone thinking otherwise.

So that's why I left it at one kiss in public and pulled away. Even though I wanted to kiss him longer and from the way he looked at me from under his long lashes I'm confident Lewis wanted to kiss me longer too. However in addition to judgemental civilian eyes we were surrounded by an army of gaffas and other casualties of war that were strung together in a chained line on the other side of the demolished building area.

"Aight! We're loading up in five!!" Zandile slapped the green military truck one, two, three times and yelled at the top of her lungs. Crocky was in her ear the corner of his eyes fixed on me. An AK47 was under her arm as she looked at me and shook her head, a drawn frown sitting on her otherwise firm forehead.

The driver to the military truck revved and the truck roared to life, with it, it's speakers blared to life with music. Music that was illegal but with everything going on the youth were far too excited about the promise of the coming freedom to care.

A catchy song about a girl with three lovers. One that tasted like Jack, the other that lived in a garden state and the third that got hooked on drugs started to play.

Multis started to move faster- their increased efficiency encouraged by the melodies of the old time female vocalist. A few other guys rounded up their trucks complaining about the song. Others moved and laughed along to the lyrical content of the song. I'd known Zandile to hum to it each time it played but not then, I watched as Crocky finished telling her something and then she was making another call about needing all prisoners in the line up.

It was also only a matter of time before she was to come and chain up Lewis too. On his ankles and wrists, readying him to join other prisoners in the truck that was to follow us back to the Ambassador's compound in First Street.

"I gotta say, I never imagined myself getting chained by a girl. Can't say I'm looking forward to it." His voice had a shaken tremble to it, showing the fear running through his nerves. But he displayed a beautiful smile of straight white teeth that was meant to give me relief. Because if he was making a joke out of this then he was fine, I know that that's what he wanted me to think.

But he wasn't fine, an hour ago I had had a struggle getting him to shower and agree to be taken back to his parents. He had clawed at my heart by crying, begging me and pleading with the seniors he was working under in the infirmary. Not to take him there he wanted to stay behind close to his sister.

"If you're gonna kiss the pretty boy do it now, I'm almost done here." One of the gaffas, a guy about to leave his thirties told me as he pushed himself from under the hood of my brother's truck to which he was replacing the timing belt to. "So the sooner we leave the sooner we can get our freedom from Kaplan." He said then looked at Lewis and said. "No offence, kid."

"Get back to work." I told him and he grunted but he returned to his duty.

Lewis smiled and bashfully whispered, "he has a point, about kissing me."

When I looked at him I pictured him in my bed, under me and thoroughly fucked. My heart ached and not in the bittersweet way it ached with my romantic and intimate intentions with him. It just ached with a physical hurt. I kept watching him and then he was watching me too. Too closely.

So, I snuck my hands in my pockets trying to distract myself but both his vulnerable disposition and crazy attractive appearance had rendered me disorientated I had to scramble for words and failed.

"Zhavia." He said my name, his voice sounding concerned and I found myself still lost for my vocabulary. He came towards me, a little further into my personal space, a little more nearer until there was almost no space between us. He placed a worried hand on my bicep and squeezed, "Hey, it's ok." He said. "Ok?"

But it wasn't ok and I didn't feel like lying to him so I didn't reply him and I felt like a jerk for it. Because I was supposed to say something to him. Anything at all especially since this would be the last I'd see him.

"Thirty seconds!" Zandile called out. A quick sweep of the line up and I knew the reminder was directed to only me since every other prisoner was accounted for in the line up.

With that I gave her a nod and then I was walking away from Lewis. "I'm sorry." I said and I'm not sure if he heard me or truly understood how sorry I was.

I watched from my brother's truck as the military truck was bolted shut with the last of its passengers in the back like actual criminals when all they were was casualties of was. Crocky came and stood beside me leaning on the truck. Most of us were in green combat gear but he was in black head to toe and it matched with his tone when he started by saying, "tell me it was just sex?"

I faced him and instead of replying I asked, "You said Elaine and Dylan would be at the gates Yea?"

He gave a tentative nod, something in his eyes showed a blaze of questions.

"Good, there has to be another way to get him back." I thought out loud.

Crocky snorted and abruptly pulled off the truck and started to stalk on the ground. Pacing back and forth, glaring at the stained dirt. "Keffa blood was spilled on this ground less than a week ago by him and his people. And what you're concerned about is trying to find a way to get him back for yourself?" He stopped pacing then took a short few steps forward until he was right in front of me. "Mafia, you have misplaced your pride. Those Bur - full bloods will never accept us, that is Robert Kaplan's son."

"Only a minute now!" Zandile yelled already throwing herself like a daredevil into the back of the truck.

"Let's go." I said already moving forward.