CHAPTER 12: Third Wheeling.

Lewis Kaplan 14|

The head boy, Ronald came from a good family background but no real money, notoriety or influence. He was known for a string or two of public failed relationships and a few fruitless attachments to some of the school's best. Our school's head girl had been one of those fruitless attachments. It seemed people thought he played the field but I now knew the truth.

He was in a committed relationship with a Keffa two years younger than him. The same one I'd seen him sexually fraternize with to the greatest deal in the first week of the school trip. Throughout the two-week trip I'd watched the two of them hold conversation with their eyes and exchange small but cheesy smiles from the distance.

The last Friday of the trip during dinner Ronald claimed Remi-the Keffa boyfriend hadn't greeted him appropriately. The way all juniors and Keffas were supposed to greet their seniors. Keffas especially were supposed to stop, bow or curt and politely refer to a prefect as Sir or Lady. All Keffas abided to this law that further extended outside of school for those that were older and of the earning class.

With the fact that Ronald had the power of a teacher meant that he could raise hell if he wanted to in the case of a Keffa being insubordinate. Just like I could, or the Cheng siblings or other children of influential parents or school prefects could; again, especially the head girl or boy.

Whispers said Remi hadn't bowed low enough for the head boy. According to the swirling misinformed grapevine Ronald hated Remi the Keffa junior and always punished him for any reason he could find.

"Shame. Ronald scheduled two hours for Remi's punishment tsk tsk." Tanaka's sister shook her head with pity. "I bet Remi hates school not only is he mixed but the head boy has a target on his back tsk tsk. I feel for him."

Tanaka agreed.

I almost choked on my burger and fries because I knew the truth. I could see through the veiled facade they were pulling out for everyone else. They did that a lot; made it seem as though he disliked the Keffa. He would pretend to schedule punishment time for him but it was only so they would hang out together.

Sometime during the trip, I'd come down with a severe case of home sickness. Which was aggressive enough to make me skip the five-hour recess that had been afforded to everyone Keffa or not. An hour into my nap I woke up at the sound of the door being unlocked to reveal Ronald and his boyfriend. "We were gonna hang out in Tyra's room but she got last minute plans with her boyfriend mind if we hang out in here?" Ronald asked.

"We'll stay PG." Remi added, a shy smile drawn on his light brown lips.

I pulled the blanket off my feet and wondered out loud. "You were gonna hang out in Tyra's room?" She was the head girl and "Isn't she your ex? And an outspoken Absolutist?" I didn't know any exes that'd be ok with that. Worst of it I didn't know Absolutists that showed Keffas any tolerance. Absolutists, like my mother and others believed in keeping races at their purest.

They had good reason for that too.

After it was discovered that the XY illness had been as deadly as it was because of the mixed genes. That had been grouped together into one, throughout the year decades of shameless cross breeding relationships and surrogacy in interblooded parties. Combined with the case where each blood carried it's pride on a sleeve and didn't want it extending into other types for practice. It wasn't a hard rule for the early people to follow.

Decades ago, brave Absolutists had set laws to protect the human race from the XY illness and more viruses from it. By abolishing interblood relationships. Some, in fact most looked down on inter-blood friendships. These included the head girl's family, one of my father's biggest supporters.

Ronald and his good-looking boyfriend relaxed into a laugh. "People assumed we were a thing, neither of us bothered to confirm nor deny the rumors. And Tyra has opinions that are hers, not her parents. Now, can we hang in here?"

"Why. Does she have a Keffa boyfriend too?" I whispered conspiratorially, already imagining the huge scandal that would become if it ever got out.

"You mean mixed?" Ronald started "Nah, she doesn't date, at all."

I stood to my feet nodding and went to lock the door. "Sure you can hang out here especially if you let me hang out with you two...an hour or less will be ok. I'm so bored. Please."

Ronald wrapped a strong arm around my shoulder and brought his other hand to ruffle at my hair. "You little rascal you're blackmailing us huh?"

I laughed until my ribs started to ache as he kept ruffling my hair talking in an exaggerated imitation of our senior teacher's voice showering me with all kinds of teases. Remi's eyes were watered with laughter when Ronald finally released me and I ofcourse agreed. "Fine, but when I win, you're gonna read us one of those poems you're always writing."

"No!" His boyfriend protested softly with a warning tone, and pointed eyes "Ronald!"

Ronald pulled him by the waist and stole a fast butterfly kiss from his lips. "Yes baby, you know I have no talent of that sort."

Remi pulled away and wiped his lips as though he was disgusted but I could tell it was in in jest, then he turned to me and explained. "I love poems and I asked him to write me one, but look at him bearing no shame for wanting to employ child labour." he pointed at a smiling Ronald.

I laughed "The head boy can't write a poem? Wow." but I had to correct both of them "but two things first a) I'm not a child I'll be fifteen next year and b) I'll only give Remi my poem to read because I like him but you..." I pointed towards Ronald "you're not winning. So, when I do win, I want you to answer a few questions I promise I won't tell."

They both laughed "If it's age appropriate then sure." Ronald laughed and looked at Remi grinning.

Remi was grinning at him too. His eyes were a pale blue and an opal round that suggested innocence but I'd seen him at his least innocent so his appearance never failed to shock me every time I thought about it. His gaunt cheeks rose sharply with an endearing smile full of bashfulness after Ronald had boldly winked at him.

"So, let's get to playing then?" Ronald suggested rubbing his palms together.

"Yes, wanna shuffle the first round Lewis?" Remi asked.

"You're laughing at your own boyfriend?" Ronald bit his boyfriend's earlobe, then looked at me. "Fine, but you only get three questions." he said. This was after two or so hours of the various rounds of card playing where he'd lost to me.

"Ok," I pretended to think "How did you two meet?"

Another hour or so went by where I had my questions answered, I answered a few of theirs and in the end, I learnt so much about both of them. Including a few surprising things about Keffas. And even after a few weeks and months following the trip I still occasionally wondered about Keffas way of life.

Zhavia's way of life, in specific.

A/N: For those of you consuming Keffa by the weekly chapter can we talk about how much we are antagonized by slow burn romances? I wrote Keffa. I'm editing Keffa for Wattpad and soon for Amazon so obviously I enjoy all these chapters because I know what they mean and how much they impact the coming romance and plot. But as a reader, I too fully get it. Slow burn romances are some of those things we like to cry, whine and hate but deeply appreciate. Right? But yes, my point is I don't do filler chapters, each chapter feeds into the plot somehow. I can't give you the answers, but I love a good foreshadow.... there's plenty of those in here. Keep your head clear and your eyes open.