CHAPTER 25: Fading Memories and Emotions

Chapter 25: Fading Memories and Emotions

Lewis Kaplan 17 going 18|

Over the course of the week leading to my birthday the memory of my stolen moment in the cave grew faint with each day as the memory of sound. Nothing else outside of myself had changed, I still received the special treatment I'd been receiving all these years from teachers and peers alike.

I still accepted bows of acknowledgement and respect from juniors and mixed students. My father still expected so much out of me as did my mother whom I'd been fighting with a lot lately.

First, she was angry that my bruise hadn't healed in time for the photoshoot and I was angry that she hadn't even bothered to learn how I'd gotten it. It made me passive aggressive. Then she was angry I kept refusing to go to school or anywhere else escorted by grown men in suits and she got angry that I wasn't the kid she still saw me as anymore.

When he'd had enough of us my father came up and offered a compromise for both of us to consider. We both walked away from that negotiation unhappy which proved that the compromise was effective.

At least that's what they taught me in Politics.

Speaking of politics, after school I was supposed to be tutoring the class to Grace but I don't know why she'd led her mother to believe she needed help. The girl was bright at the subject, in some ways better than me.
Both twins were and they'd spent our study sessions listening to their melodies that rang out from the pods plugged into their ears. Sometimes when they felt like it, they would include me in their conversations. Where they made it a point to drop hints of allusion that they were best friends with the Cheng twins now. Especially Tanaka.

It was disappointing.

But royally disappointing of all was that at school Zhavia still regarded me with an indifference that rubbed me wrong. As if the moment in the locker room hadn't happened, sometimes I would second guess myself. Think maybe I'd imagined the look in his eyes, but I'd kissed him before. It had only been one time, in dark but I remembered that look and it made me wonder about a lot of things.

I didn't expect him to know me or see through my heart from out of blue. But there in the back of my mind I thought he would at least look at me, say hello or something. Maybe even find my face familiar – in the case that my mixed drabbed face still haunted him with desire.

But there was none of that.

The ghost memories of kissing him were fading, slipping right out of my hands like fine sand and I had this nagging fear that I would wake up one day without any remnant memories of the feel of his pink lips on mine. It was probably better that way and if they were together, he was probably happy with Esly. But the infatuation I harboured for him chased for a new opportunity when I saw him heading for the nurse's office. A fisted bloody hand resting unsteadily in his other hand.

"Go to class." I ordered to a couple of juniors who were loitering and flirting in the halls.

"Shit!"

"Yes, Sir!"

"Sorry, Sir!"

They quickly dispersed and I went through the door he had disappeared into.

It must have taken him a minute to register my entrance into the sterile office. It was a hot minute lent to me to get my story right and swallow in his form. Zhavia was sat on the tiled floor, one knee drawn up to rest his bleeding hand. Back leaning on the white wall which further emphasized his full chestnut corkscrew coils. They were pulled into a low tousled pony such that some wild locks of his curls fell down to tease the temples on his handsome face.