CHAPTER 2: Trespassing & Lovenotes.

Lewis Kaplan age11|

I watched the school fields from the window panes in the library. I felt unwelcomed to it but the excited scene outside seeped into my skin with an adrenaline rush. It also gave me a full idea of what my stream mates and I would be doing next year for our senior year in primary school.

Being rowdy was allowed this one specific day; scattered about in the fields senior students were signing each other's school shirts. With all sorts of inks and markers, the same way they would in year books.

The last day of the school year was a celebrated school culture amongst seniors. That I ofcourse wished to be a part of in the following year but I worried for when the time would come. I feared and would often wake up in cold sweat from nightmares that I would end up with only two messages signed on my shirt.

From the Cheng siblings.

They were my only friends in and outside of school.

I imagined my mother sending me to the last day of school escorted by heavy bodyguards, thereby intimidating other kids. I shuddered at the thought, despite allowing my mind to fantasize about a shirt filled with all sorts of nice messages. It felt nice to imagine things like that, things that would never happen.

Those that passed advanced to high school, and those that failed repeated. I feared but hoped I wouldn't fail the following year. I could picture the country's outrage and my parent's disappointment if I were to repeat a grade. Most repeaters would be shipped off to boarding school away from their shamed family and friends, in one of the six other countries and one other away from ours.

After the XY illness had claimed many lives, wiping out nations and entire generations nine decades ago. Our world leaders had united at the height of the plague and agreed to unite what was formerly known as continents to make them nations.

Seven continents amounted to seven nations. In seven nations were several towns that had once been countries once upon a time. Most were unhabited plain lands, festered by polluted air, harsh weather conditions unkind to human life.

"I can't wait for next year guys. I bet my shirt will be filled with love notes, from my secret admirers." Tanaka Cheng boasted.

His twin sister scrunched her nose, "I wouldn't hold my breath for that. Everyone knows you pick your nose idiot."

A group of kids in our stream sitting behind us erupted in laughter causing the self partnered librarian lady with grey hair to chase all of us out.

Outside, students were segregated like always, comfortably sticking to those of their shared pure blood. Fair kids stuck to themselves, as did brown skinned kids, those of golden skin and so on. On occasion these groups would mix and mingle with the other groups, all except for one. The large group of eternally mixed shades of skin tones and variations of hair and eyes that sat in one chaotic faction. Setting them apart from all the pure bloods standing far and wide from them.

This was nothing new and lunch hour was almost over.

As the years from six to eleven drew on I started to look forward to the last thirty minutes of lunch. Since that was the time Keffas were allowed to break from their supplementary classes on etiquette. I didn't do this often but every once in a while I would search the fields for that one Keffa boy who had been kind to me. Each time he'd be beside his two friends from back then. Sometimes they would be surrounded by other Keffas in a way that made me yearn for more friends aside from the Cheng twins.