CHAPTER 9: Love Elaine

Lewis Kaplan age12|

The Blue Roof was surrounded by dozens of cameras and service staff clearly frantic in their search for us. My parents were in the middle of the lawn their backs towards us as noone had seen us yet and hopefully wouldn't until we were successful in our plan. From the distance I could hear the loud voice of my father's attorney preaching, lecturing to the service staff. Condemning them for their lack of skills in losing us in the first place.

"You are fired!" someone was told and I flinched and looked up to Elly. She seemed unbothered if anything she kept tapping her left foot on the grass with impatience. I cast my gaze back to the scene in our yard and noticed more people were leaving in tears, fired by my family's attorney.

A military truck drove in through the front gate and out came the chief military commander. Tanaka's dad. The man was offensive, self righteous and arrogant in all his newly Keffa sympathizing ways. My father had been complaining about him for a while now so I wondered why he had to be present in the search of our disappearance. When their relationship outside of work was strained.

"Shit!" Elly cursed, she held my ears as if to cover them. "Sorry Lew."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Uhm..." she tapped the screen on her pink flip phone a few times then said. "I have to find a way to sneak you inside real quick and quietly but tsk things just got bad." she lifted her blonde covered head and stretched her neck scanning with her eyes for any unguarded lanes or windows back into the house.

Military men were surrounding it, three sixty degrees, the attorney kept on reprimanding the staff. The staff was blaming each other for losing the first siblings in plain sight.The Chief commander joined in laboring his condemnation to everyone. Then finally when the cameras turned off, my parents could be seen coming outside fully dressed in their stitched to perfection suits and ties. They gave our lawyer several pats on the back and handshakes of praise and gratitude for his service to them.

"I have an idea. But you're not gonna like it." Elly locked her gleaming teeth.

I looked at her in askance.

"There's no way in back into the yard let alone the house can you see that?"

I nodded.

"So if I force it and try to get you inside they will track me down, and once I'm inside the house they'll never let me out of sight. I can't afford that, Dylan would be devastated. So please help me out with the biggest favour of your life?" She sighed, bit her bottom lip then after I gave a nod of agreement she finally asked "What if I bring you back home tomorrow? I promise you'll sleep under a roof, on a bed tonight." she held her breath "It'll just be in town, in the multi side of town."

Multi meant Keffa, she meant the Keffa side of town. Her blue eyes were unsure, desperate and even if they weren't I wasn't ready to say goodbye to her yet so I agreed.

Minutes later we had tracked down the way back to where the boys were waiting for her. They seemed surprised to see me, two of them even asked about me bluntly and Elly explained to them all the predicament we'd fallen into.

Another argument ensued before I blocked it out I'd already picked up on their biggest worry. I was the first son, a full blooded Kaplan. The law could charge her with kidnapping and them - as keffas - as Keffa accessories. They believed their punishment would be much harsher, cruel even.

Zhavia's brother jumped down from the hood of his car and opened the car doors saying "Fine! Fine, your brother will just have to be ok sharing a bed with a Keffa tonight." He then looked at me with condemnation "you good with that?"