CHAPTER 3: A Secret Admirer.

Zhavia Yorush age12|

"Zandile harassed Burri juniors today, you all should have seen it. It made my heart swell with Keffa pride but..." Crocodile pointed a finger at her. "I'm pretty sure those kids have already told on you. Which means you'll never make it to formal high school for more reasons than just your blood."

Zandile rolled her eyes.

Crocodile shifted his gaze between Tiger and me. "One of the kid's dad is a military dignitary and the other is your President's son Zandile."

"Kaplan's not my President and besides what gets me will get you genius," she flicked a middle finger to his face and then tried for my older brother's attention. "The kid actually said I wasn't like other Keffa women. Ugh not like other Keffa women! I mean what the hell right?" her face contorted into a furious scowl. 

"So what did you say to him?" I asked, although I already had an inkling of how the confrontation went.

"As Crocky said, I blew that handle exactly how they expect us Keffa to and despite all the state-funded etiquette lessons, I was definitely not eloquent about it. Wasn't even ladylike, least of all smart about it." she wore a wide smile and chuckled to herself. "I called them Burris, right in their faces."

"That took guts ma! Gaffas will be proud of us." Crocodile indulged her, leaning into fist bump her shoulder.

She thanked him by clicking finger guns at him. "Yes, Sir!"

We all bust out in laughter.

Tiger's voice turned all serious and direct. "I have something to tell you three, something life-changing for me but first. Tell me your two most important goals for secondary school next year?" he asked, tormented eyes fixed wistfully on the road ahead.

Zandile clasped her hands on top of her thighs, grinning so wide her dimples dug deep into her cheeks. "One. I'm going to get a girlfriend who's taller than me and two, I will excel in all my science studies."

Zandile had been eternally crushing on Tiger's girlfriend. Who was much much older than all of us at twenty-five. So it was relieving for Tiger to hear Zandile -a child in his eyes - was moving on almost as much as it was relieving for us to hear that too. Considering we were the ones she blabbed to about her star-crossed love for my older brother's now fiance.

"That's great Zandile, just make sure that whomever you pick is someone who makes you feel good in your skin ok?" Tiger advised.

We fake puked and groaned at the mushiness of that but it was all in harmless jest.

"Ok next," Tiger called, making a turn into the woods to avoid driving on the forbidden first street.

Crocodile cleared his throat, in that boastful manner of his. "One I'll finally date Nessa, I saw her give me the eyes last week and two I'll be number one in my stream."

I scoffed bringing focus on me "Wrong. I'll be number one you only beat me this year by two percent hot shot." A playful fist landed on my shoulder and I shoved him soon we were play-fighting in the back seat.

Then coming out of the woods we finally pulled up at the local fast food restaurant - the only one in the West that allowed Keffa patrons. As we waited for our food, my brother asked "You didn't tell me your second goal soldier."

My eyes flickered over each of their gazes with all the smugness that my latest find was filling me with. When I had all their eyes on me, I pulled out a note from my blazer that had been burning in my pocket ever since I found it in my locker. "Here, read this for the kids." I passed it to Tiger, with a triumphant smirk overtaking the butterflies in my stomach.

"To Zhavia Yorush
I'm told the wind leads the arrows in war
I read that serpents slither in the catacombs
I heard that the thief wanders where the gold lies. Agile and unnoticed. Yet no book and no one warned me about the beat of my heart whenever my ears hear your name. You're Keffa yet that fact doesn't deter the roar of my blood whenever my eyes land on you. Harmony flows in my veins whenever my imagination draws you into my dreams. You have a grace-bound smile and blue eyes I wish to study up close.

Why?
Why me?
Why you?

Your Keffa blood is an armour with patterning that makes me tremble. Your smile, oh that kind smile dwarfs the trembling down with heartwarming joy. That I will never have the privilege of claiming. As I write this my insides are a sweet liquid that feels like I will yearn for you and dream of you together with me forever. Deep inside I vibrate and feel all the anguish from the fact that you will never know how much I like you. How much I wish to speak to you and wish to get a simple hug from you.
In this little note where my name and face are absent. I feel bold enough to be foolish and say. I love you! Despite knowing you will never be mine. Despite knowing you will never like me. Is that silly? Without putting a name, preferences or face to this note do you suppose I'm someone you would like back? Sometimes in my own world, I pretend I'm your one.

Yours truly
A smitten secret admirer.
I wish you the best in High School if you make it there."

Tiger stopped reading and tore apart the little love note.

Yes, it was shallow and unexpected but he was completely overreacting so I protested. "Tiger!"

"Clearly a Burri wrote this, it makes me sick." he slid the plate of fries he was eating away from his sight. Suddenly full.

Crocodile slumped back in his chair "Keffa....that word makes me feel sick. It's derived from a dead language and it directly translates to mean that we're a sick, dirty and cursed bunch. I hate it, Tiger is right to tear that shit up."

"Same," Zandile said.

"I know, I was just focused on the appeal of having a secret admirer."

Tiger wore a pointed look to address us all. "As you're all getting older you'll garner even more attention from Burris. It's never good but all that will soon end. Remember that thing I mentioned in the car earlier about how things are about to change?"

We nodded.

In that exact second the President's son entered, his sister behind him. Every bone in my body hated them, even when I knew his sister was harmless. Our eyes met and he gave me a small smile, which unarmed me. Until I realized his best friend was right behind me and that's whom the smile was for. Then I was just embarrassed.

"His excellency shouldn't let his heir walk around without escorts like that," Tiger muttered, fishing out his wallet. "Never know what could find him out here."

Crocodile grinned, fishing the leftover food into the pockets of his school blazer. "Or who could find him."

Zandile flicked the rest of the condiments into the pockets of her school pinafore. "Someone oughta show them, hit them where it hurts."

On our way out we saw a good amount of full bloods on the other side of the fast food joint hiding their gazes and purses from us.

VOTE|COMMENT|REACT|FOLLOW|SHARE