CHAPTER 4: Burned To Memory

Lewis Kaplan age 13|

Burned to memory is the day I believe set it all in motion. It was the weekend of my forgotten thirteenth birthday. We were sat in the back office watching my father on the many television screens. As he came to his fullest height on the walk down to his celebratory speech. He looked every bit of the man he'd been trying to show the rest of the world he would always be.

President of a nation.

President of the West.

One of the only six Presidents of the entire United World's seven countries; The Midlands had a King. My Father thought himself better and grander than him too, so he stood strong, firm. And even though he was my father, a man who had been mentoring me my entire life I too was breath taken by his presence.

The screens captured his true intimidating essence, he looked to be made of granite, and seemed to move in a circle of purpose. Adorned in the most luxurious and expensive material stitched to perfection into a navy blue suit picked by my mother's styling team with materials imported from the South. The President spoke into the microphone expressing his gratitude to the voting population and I realized, perhaps even for the first time. That my father commanded respect and people were happy to give it to him in spades.

My mind drifted; I remembered one scathing discussion between some older Keffa boys I had once overheard in school. They were condemning us; Pure bloods for being selfish with state funds and half-facts. Their argument was sound, but only for those without the full knowledge or capacity for it. Nonetheless, I tried to brush that unwelcome memory from my mind and searched the stadium for more faceless reactions.

My parents' associates and supporters shook hands and laughed back on their bubbling import champagnes. In the room, more bottles of champagne and wines were popped open, and laughter and joyous grunts filled the room. A song-a very expensive song available in limited supply from a pop star of the mid-2000s was put on replay. Music from those dark times was illegal, but on special occasions like this everyone agreed. That those old tunes if provided in small doses made the ambience for celebrations much better.

Within the room guests; Associates and supporters alike continued to hug out their pleased surprise.

I wondered why everyone seemed this surprised when we already knew my Father would win the Presidency. For decades the honour and privilege had been his and all other Kaplan men and women before him. However, unlike him, none had had a contested Presidential run. Two elections now my Father had gotten the misfortune of having opponents. A Keffa whom we all knew was reaching too high and a Keffa sympathizer no one understood.

My father had beat them both so whilst I understood the excitement, it was the surprise I couldn't truly wrap my head around.

With a distanced mind from the excitement I searched the crowd for my sister and found her in a dark corner. Engaging in what seemed to be a deep and fierce argument with our mother. I think I read my mother's lips, "You're so dramatic Elly." She lamented with a head shake and a nervous touch to her diamante studs, eyes sweeping the crowd for eavesdroppers.

Elaine mimicked a touch to her own pearls, eyes challenging and uncaring, she said one last thing to our mother that I could not read from her profile. Then she stomped away heavy on her pink bottom heels, her growing blonde hair tumbling down her white collared shoulders. She looked a strong amount of displeased, that wasn't a surprise. All year at the dinner table Elaine had been reminding us on why she was not going to vote for our Father. She wasn't shy with her deductions on how he wouldn't win either. But now father had won and, she was being ungraceful in her loss.

I loved my sister with all my heart but I'll be honest. I could never understand her, could never understand why she was dead set on taking the Keffas side against us. Against her own family, her own people and heritage. I shook my head in wonder and took my gaze elsewhere.

The marching band had started playing, our beauty queens were lined up. All waved to the cameras in clear smiles of victory and my best friend yelled into my ear. "Woo Hoo!"

"Tanaka whoa!" I chastised, nursing my ear.

His sister elbowed me, "Look lively Lewis you're still the President's son."

Tanaka's breath smelled of Wild Berry juice "Look at all these people screaming for your dad." he gestured to the television screens that now displayed many faceless reactions on the ground. "Our dad tells us Elaine will not co-operate so in a few years..." The twins each by my left and right side chorused in devil silken sugary voices. "You'll be the one on that podium."

The screen shifted and showed another area of the ground scattered by stoic Keffas. They must've flooded the stadium under the impression they would win. The camera swooped around them not zooming in on anyone in particular. Yet by some miracle or tough luck I made him out from the crowd of a hundred or so faces.

I saw him.

Zhavia.

I hadn't seen him since that last day of their senior year in primary school. I hadn't thought of him in ages either but there he was on the big screen. Seeing him brought me to smile which was perhaps my first true smile in weeks. Then I realized, that despite my other crushes in school, it would always be him. I still liked him like that. I thought of the note I'd slipped into his locker.

I felt myself blush at the feelings that still rang true.

He was sat between his usual two best friends in one of the seats reserved for Keffas with ties to Keffa leaders. I should've cared about that but I had more important meditations to do. So, I muttered a malnourished prayer hoping he would lift his face to look into the camera at least once.

Behind me, Tanaka and his sister clinked their glasses filled with wildberry juice they were pretending was red wine. I think they were under the impression I was fantasizing about my own future in politics.

If only they knew.

Someone - a Keffa in ragged clothes - urgently tapped all three of them on their shoulders. In response, they jumped out of their seats and disappeared into the thousand faceless heads. I'd lost sight of them but the longing in my heart stayed. Then, I couldn't stop praying for my finals to come up fast so I could advance to high school where I would see him regularly again.

Just then something happened it seemed gun powder had been shot into the stadium grounds.

Then before I could search the screens for mom and Elly they all went blank.

Then we were under a total blackout.

VOTE| COMMENT| REACT| FOLLOW| SHARE