CHAPTER 41: Rooftop Dinners.

Lewis Kaplan 18|

I was subjected to an agreeable dinner with my parents and the Dhliwayos at their home. The twins and I had been left alone for some minute. When our parents had disappeared into the Ambassador's office, for the last quarter of the private meeting.

One I couldn't join in on – my Father's stern advisement.

Both Grace and Esly had been oddly pleasant and respectful to me. It was so unusual and unlike the other times I'd been around them in their home or at mine. They didn't even want to discuss any music, books with me or even to take me to their rooms.

During the parts I was allowed to play a part in the meeting, their parents had also been aversive in citing their allegiance to my Father and to the Kaplan name as the previous Ambassadors had done before them.

I didn't know what to make of it.

"The table is ready now," A maid curtseyed and left the room once our parents had finished up the meeting.

The Ambassador's wife guided us on the roof top of their house to a nicely set dinner table. Once we all got in our designated seats a fleet of maids and butlers climbed up the stairs after us to deliver food. Father nodded his head at his right-hand service guard to come and make a test at the rose gold cart of food that was delivered beside him.

That was also odd, for we usually dug in without requiring food testers.

In the cart was a live lobster waving bound claws, a salted grilled potato, caramelised red onions and blue cheese. Such delicious looking food he was to chase down with a glass of chilled sparkling mint water. Mom had the same meal delivered with a glass of pink champagne for her to wash down the food. Whilst I had a glass of raspberry blended alcohol-free wine to down after my food.

"Green light your Excellency." The service guard bowed his head and took steps back to his standing position backwards.

"Viva Keffa!!" the cry was far but loud.

"Viva!" a chant of even louder noise followed after.

No one spoke a word as we all craned our necks to face the glinting silver and blue skyscraper across the Dhliwayos rooftop garden. For a while nothing else could be seen in the street besides the glass made building that was very old and very spectacular to look at especially after dark

"Viva Keffa!!" the chant came again.

"Viva!" It started to come closer.

We all arose from our seats and took to the balcony where we could see a crowd of what looked like scattered ants draped in multiblooded flags. Marching with vigour, fists pumping the air and noise that was so loud I thought the glass made building would shatter.

"Viva Keffa!"

"Viva!" they continued to sing.

"Stupid Keffa is more like it." My mother mocked.

My Father smiled proudly impressed by her cruel remark.

A guard came holding out a phone for my father to take. He stayed on it for half an hour talking to the family lawyer during which time the mixed bloods glued papers and boards to the walls and any other surface areas they could. Their chants only got louder; their marches were like an odd but nice thing to see. One foot in front of the other they hit the ground in dabs, it almost seemed like a dance choreography. Their fists hit the air with substance and their voices were loud with dialogue given in the chant of. 'Viva Keffa, Viva!'